Jupiter Diving 04/11/2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSharkk

Contributor
Reaction score
Jupiter Dive Center,daily dive charters, scuba classes, equipment.Jupiter Dive Center

Check In = Phil

Captain = Mike

Dive Guide = John

Deckhand = Brooke

3 to 5 ft. seas

Water temp = mid 70s

Vis = 60 to 80 feet, not quite Palm Beach Blue, but still pretty good

Moderate north current

18 to 20 bull sharks, the most seen in one view 5, difficult counting today, some sharks were following below us during the drift.

12 to 15 lemon sharks, the most seen in one view 6, two of them tagged, at least 1 male in the group

8 nurse sharks

3 goliath groupers

3 cobia

1 hawksbill sea turtle

1 loggerhead sea turtle

I can’t really understand why more people don’t dive Palm Beach County. The marine life can be spectacular. Can anyone shed some insight on why this is the case?

Hell yes!

Keys diving: "Ooh, I saw a turtle! And a goliath grouper! And a cute little Caribbean reef shark and some nurse sharks!"

PBC diving: "I saw fifteen turtles - loggerheads, greens, hawksbills. A dozen goliath groupers. We had a pack of Caribbean reef sharks, a lemon, and a bull or two. Ho-hum. No leatherbacks, hammerheads, or tiger sharks dangit!"

First off, there's the advertising. The Palm Beaches operations are mostly small outfits; aside from maybe JASA they tend to get their business through word of mouth rather than blanketing the ads and the national dive show circuit. That was how I got into it; I wanted to know about the lemon shark aggregations, got in touch with a guy on the Shark-L listserv, and was directed to Sandy's Sunday and Narcosis. Eight years and a frigid five-year exile on the Left Coast later, I'm still giddy as a kid in a candy shop about PBC diving. On the other hand, you'll find the Keys operators at dive shows around the country, and they tend to push the whole tropical-vacation deal. That tends to snag the bulk of the tourists and the local casual weekend bubblers, who aren't so much interested in the diving in and of itself.

Second, the diving is a lot more advanced; even the easy spots like Breakers are current dives and can be over the head of someone who doesn't get out often. I've seen supposedly "experienced" divers crack when they have to fight the ocean (which normally you're not doing, but sometimes you want to stop and have a look). The boats I've been on often cater to the more experienced divers; I get irritated in the Keys when I'm forced to buddy with someone I don't know and have to babysit. The Palm Beach boats don't even blink at folks diving alone; you're expected to know your own limits. That's not to say they won't babysit you if you ask for it, but they will cut you a lot of slack if you know what you're doing.

On the one hand I'm kind of selfishly pleased that it's the province of we happy few. On the other, I'm always browbeating my friends in Florida and other parts of the country to stay active so I can feel confident about taking them up there and sharing the fun. When I was doing YouTube searches last week I admit rocking out to this - probably the best "ad" I've seen for PBC diving: Nothing but a good time aboard the Emerald - YouTube

I can’t really understand why more people don’t dive Palm Beach County. The marine life can be spectacular. Can anyone shed some insight on why this is the case?

I can share my anecdotal experience. I live in southwestern KY and fly out of Nashville to wherever. Been to Bonaire 7 times, dove a number of places on cruise ship stops, like coral reef diving in warm water with high viz. Last year, having a baby, I wanted to stay close to U.S. medical care (just in case) and not subject our baby to real long plane rides. So I was looking at Florida. The range of options was mind-boggling, but digging on the forum and elsewhere, here's how it looked like it shook out to me.

1.) Florida Keys - mainly shallow reef diving, usually low current, good viz. (not Cozumel or Bonaire class, but good), option for deep wrecks for a few dives, could set up hotel & dive package all with the dive op., and Rainbow Reef Dive Center goes out twice per day, so I could cram 20 dives into 5 days, for example (& I did). So I booked with them, then went to Orbitz & got plane tickets & an SUV rental, and that's about as close to a turn-key operation as I was likely to get and for a scuba trip, pretty cheap (wife, Mother-in-Law & baby didn't dive, but added little to the cost of the hotel room). Plus we stayed at the Courtyard Marriott, and the dive shop & boats were at the end of the parking long. And there were other things to go do to amuse them. Not much beach though. My understanding was that the upper Keys had the best coral reefs. Dive times tended to run around 50 minutes or just over, but 20 dives in a 10 trip package cost me $600 + tax, $640 something total + tips, and the dives were all guided. They even let me use the 2 100 cf AL tanks they had on hand, at no extra charge.

2.) West Palm Beach - warm, really good viz., more larger animals, good reefs (but maybe not as good as the upper Keys?), but drift diving and deeper diving. I didn't notice a 4 dives per day every day option, and I don't recall quite as easy a 'turn-key' approach. My wife is a 'dabbler diver,' OW and Nitrox, likes Key's type conditions, didn't like drift diving in Cozumel, and I don't think I could make her pursue AOW at gun point. Think of the cruise ship 'vacation diver' people refer to on the forum. Likes Bonaire, but if she does 8 dives there in a week that's plenty for her. So her not having AOW might keep her from some dives, and she wouldn't like drift diving.

3.) Jupiter - similar to West Palm Beach, lower viz. but still good, more big animals. I'd probably aim to dive with Jupiter Dive Center, rent steel 120 tanks with nitrox, planning a 2-tank trip mornings most days and maybe a 3 tanker a couple of days when offered (e.g.: Sunday and Friday?), and they've got some hotels linked on their web site. I'd need to book the hotel separately. It's not clear to me whether if I rent the tanks & what-not with them they'll be on the boat, or whether I need to pick them up at the dive shop and bring them back daily. Doesn't look quite as 'turn-key' as Rainbow Reef's operation. But maybe it is.

So I've been to Key Largo, I hope to get in another Bonaire trip alone to solo dive for a week this summer, and I'd like to take a week off this fall to hit Jupiter and dive with Jupiter Dive Center, while spending afternoons doing other things with the family.

Sounds like West Palm Beach diving is somewhere between Keys & Jupiter, drift diving like Cozumel, and if Jupiter happens (can be hard to get time off from work) and goes well I might like to hit West Palm Beach someday, Lord willing and providing.

Advertising could be helpful. Back before Florida diving got pointed out to me repeatedly, I thought if you wanted to see sharks in the Caribbean area, you went to the Bahamas, or on a shark feed dive in Belize or similar.

I wonder how many people taking dive trips to the Bahamas would be better served with a West Palm Beach/Palm Beach trip instead?

Richard.

P.S.: Disclaimer: I often size up potential dive destinations & compare options on the basis of limited 1st hand experience where I have it, and my interpretation of what I recall from input I receive from others, either of which may be in error. But I don't have the luxury of having a perfect understanding to base destination decisions off it. If anyone cares to critique my understanding of the nature & relative merits of the above locations, I'd be interested to hear what you have to say!

Jupiter Dive Center,daily dive charters, scuba classes, equipment.Jupiter Dive Center

Check In = Phil

Captain = Mike

Dive Guide = John

Deckhand = Brooke

3 to 5 ft. seas

Water temp = mid 70s

Vis = 60 to 80 feet, not quite Palm Beach Blue, but still pretty good

Moderate north current

18 to 20 bull sharks, the most seen in one view 5, difficult counting today, some sharks were following below us during the drift.

12 to 15 lemon sharks, the most seen in one view 6, two of them tagged, at least 1 male in the group

8 nurse sharks

3 goliath groupers

3 cobia

1 hawksbill sea turtle

1 loggerhead sea turtle

Wow, the Bull Sharks, what sites?

---------- Post added April 13th, 2014 at 05:06 PM ----------

Hey drrich2,

Check out Boynton Beach. Reefs are fantastic, Castor is a great wreck, particularly during Goliath Grouper aggregation Aug-Sept

Good diving, Craig

All the bulls and one lemon were strung out along the Deep Ledge, the Hole In the Wall is part of that site.

Check out Boynton Beach. Reefs are fantastic, Castor is a great wreck, particularly during Goliath Grouper aggregation Aug-Sept

Yeah, I've heard Boynton Beach mentioned often, too. I haven't dove in Florida enough to finely discriminate between the different destinations. I don't know how it compares to Jupiter or West Palm/Palm Beach.

Richard.

Yeah, I've heard Boynton Beach mentioned often, too. I haven't dove in Florida enough to finely discriminate between the different destinations. I don't know how it compares to Jupiter or West Palm/Palm Beach.

Richard.

Most vibrant reef in SE FL, tremendous array of reef fish. Give it a try someday.

damn, would have loved to have been on that trip... work always getting in the way of diving...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom