Jupiter Diving in 2009 - Ongoing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brrr! Is it summer, yet? Water temp has been changing from day to day...

Now the diving season is back in full swing, it's time to bring the Jupiter Chronicles back to the top.

I went out with Jupiter Dive Center yesterday on their Friday 3-tanker. Seas were 2-3 and water temp was 78-80. Viz was an easy 80'.

The first dive was on Capt Mikes. That's one of my favorite Jupiter dives. There is so much sealife on that reef. IMHO, the upper ledge is the best part of the reef. We did see one reef shark shortly after my buddy shot a hogfish. He kind of looked at us, but... He decided our pointy things weren't worth messing with.

Second dive was on Scarface. Turtles everywhere. You can tell it's nesting season. I lost track of how many loggerheads and hawksbills I saw. We did see a huge nurse shark... but... nothing worth shooting.

Third dive was on Loggerhead. Again... Turtles everywhere. I saw one hogfish that I thought about bringing home, but then I decided it was too small to take the chance. My buddy took the chance, and it was barely legal. Oh well...

Clay was on the deck, and Chris was in the water with us. It's always great to have them two on the boat. Clay is always ready to give you a hand, and Chris is great to be in the water with.

It was well worth taking a day of vacation to dive with JDC again. Always a top notch operation.

Thanks for that report, SD! I've been out of the water for over a month now, buying a house here in Titusville, but I'm hoping to get down to Jupiter again very soon - I bought a 5-dive ticket from Gerry in March and haven't used any of them yet!!! Lungs desperately need some compressed gas...

BTW, I heard that Jupiter Dive Center has purchased and will be operating the defunct scuba shop off Atlantic Blvd., by the pier where ScubaTyme runs from, as "Pompano Dive Center". I dive from that area frequently, too, and wish them the best of luck.

However, IMO the reefs around Pompano are looking a bit ill these days, especially compared to Jupiter or Boynton.

>*< Fritz

What a difference a day makes. West winds brought less than desireable visibility today in Jupiter. We had about 35 ft. at Scarface and Loggerhead. The water was 78 degrees and there was lots of fishlife.

I might be coming down to jupiter for a 2 tank dive in 2 weeks. What kind wetsuit do most people dive with in mid-june? I have a 3/2 full and a 2/1 shortie. Any recommendation for which boat to go on? Is there alot of traffic in the morning going from orlando to jupiter? The family is doing the disney/sea world thing. I can't go on without a dive greater than a 2 week period. Must get nitrogen fix. Any other advice on diving jupiter is greatly appreciated. Thank in advance for your advice.

I'd bring the 3/2 full suit it I were you. The water temps will likely be between 78-80 degrees, but it's thermocline season and you could get a nasty upwelling. I wear a 5 mm suit and hood year round. I know, I'm a wimp. Take the turnpike from Orlando to Jupiter. It shouldn't be too bad with traffic. Give yourself a solid 2.5 hours. I recommend Jupiter Dive Center for you. I'm a dive guide for them and know they'll take good care of you. I'll be in the Red Sea while you're visiting. Another good boat if you are a hunter is the Emerald. My friend Randy is a hoot and will show you a great time. I hope you like Jupiter.

I'll have a group of divers at JDC June 20-21. We'll be diving Saturday afternoon and Sunday. Hope to see some SB members there! :palmtree: Bob

Last edited:
I might be coming down to jupiter for a 2 tank dive in 2 weeks. What kind wetsuit do most people dive with in mid-june? I have a 3/2 full and a 2/1 shortie. Any recommendation for which boat to go on? Is there alot of traffic in the morning going from orlando to jupiter? The family is doing the disney/sea world thing. I can't go on without a dive greater than a 2 week period. Must get nitrogen fix. Any other advice on diving jupiter is greatly appreciated. Thank in advance for your advice.

It depends if you're a WWW or a cold water diver. I usually dive with my 1mm, unless I hear rumors about an upwelling. Friday and today I dove with my 3mm, and I was very comfortable.

As for dive ops... I haven't dove with anyone better than Jupiter Dive Center. The crews are great, and they have the best captains.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom