Jupiter incident?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aue-mike

Contributor
Reaction score
via Facebook (add the below)
/1165216422/posts/pfbid033NC3EMLcSRYCxcnoxB9hJFDGZwisRx854c2QVJhhzUNVv4UHSnUvkuLydK7YbWUFl/

Link cited is from October 15. Sounds like two divers off an anchored boat. One ended up two miles north and it sounds like he says "I have a diver dead on the bottom". Have not seen any news reports about it...

[apparently Scubaboard won't allow FB link to display correctly]

Apparently the there was no deceased diver. Word going around is an epic "Florida Man" story...but not sure what parts are fact and what are fiction. But here is the news account about it without the color...

Hi, I know this is a few months old, I'm a diver from MA. My friend past away diving off the Jupiter inlet on Sept 7. I googled it now and there was never any update and I don't have the families contact info. What is it about this area that is killing divers. Another MA man, a doctor, also died in this are. Why is it so dangerous here? Also does anyone know what happend to my friend on Sept 7th. Like someone who gets local news there. I checked the dive operator website and they have the group picture of right before the dive still up and then the next days group jusy smiling away, no care or knowledge that one of their customers died just 24hours before.

Sorry to hear about your friend. It is not particularly dangerous, but there is a lot of diving there, so there is an expectation of accidents.

There are strong currents and it is easy to be separated and there is also a good potential for people to over exert themselves when drift diving and the dives are typically deeper than 60 ft. Also, tourists come here who are often rusty and out of shape and perhaps they think it is simple, because the water is warm, it is usually clear and it is Florida.

Many of the dive operators are casual about enforcing buddy diving, nor use of redundant systems and some end up with divers scattered on the surface over a distance of a quarter of a mile, as they pick up all the drifting divers. There are a lot of moving parts. I don't think there is a lot of hand holding compared to some other dive sites that tourists might visit.

I'm not implying that ANY of these issues are even peripherally related to any specific accident, but I offer the description to paint a picture if you are completely unfamiliar with the area.

I think it is probably in poor taste to still display a customer's image prior to their last dive on promotional social media. If they were informed by a friend or family (with a request for removal) , I bet they would remove the picture from their SM.

Thx for the information. I really appreciate it. I just wanted to know about the spot. Kid was only 30 and had only been diving for about a year. I understand better now. Thank you for your time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom