Jury rigged light systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharkdiver289

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am thinking about jury rigging a light system using either halogen, LED, or HID lights and arms. Does anyone have any feelings on which would work better. I've seen a light setup using UK HID pistol grips, but it had a lot of hot spots even with the diffuser, I know halogen aren't as expensive, but I am curious about LED lights...would they be powerful enough to light an area underwater if visibilty and conditions are relative?

i'll concur with the HID being HOTSPOTS. i just got a eLED and i'm delighted with the 'colour' of the light... very similiar to HID.... but alas, not as bright, but..... that might make less HOTSPOTS!.... ummmm now you got ME curious to give it a try!

HID works fine as well - I got a video diffuser head for my Salvo and it loses the hotspots

I just today got in a LED head 2" with 48 LEds out put at 14volt
like 50 watts they say a [100,, but]=150 candela and power draw is 2-3 watts! with a 60 deg angle,I have not fit it the light head in a holder yet and did a dive but I think 2 of them will give me more light than I need
I powered it up and wow a nice wide angle and now I cant see,I had to look into the light!
Brad

schweet... can't wait to see! my UK eLed is amazing..... can't wait to see it in a VIDEO use application

thanks in advance

Your right on the color,and I am sure they are not as bright as HID or halogen,but the color is great,and the deg spread is so good that you should use to bring the colors out on reef dives and I can get some light on the deep wrecks in LakeMichigan =close up I think 3'-8' so I am thinking to use a wide angle 60deg,the real brite 20deg, and then one 25 watt halogen and mix and match to see how it works.
Brad

Kirky:
HID works fine as well - I got a video diffuser head for my Salvo and it loses the hotspots

I'm thinking of putting a diffuser and arms on my salvo 21 for photography. Probably won't be as good as a dedicated flash but no harm trying.

Can you or anyone recommend some brands and links for diffusers and arms that will fit the salvo?

Cheers,
Rohan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom