Just a couple more Zeagle Ranger Questions, I promise!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey

Contributor
Reaction score
Kingsman, Ohio. Near Wilmington and Waynesville
# of dives
50 - 99
Just got my new Zeagle Ranger LTD in last night, Have not had a whole lot of time to play with it yet, but so far after adjusting the side panels it fits great!! Hate to say I'm a little surprised but at 240 and 6' I was worried I would be too big for the large I ordered by going off their sizing chart. Hell with one more adjustment left on the belt I think I could gain 30 pounds and I would still be able to wear it. Anyhow had a couple questions
1. How far do you have to pull the weight release to release the weights. Just looking I'd have to guess you would have to pull it 3 feet before the thing unthreaded. And does it pull completely out or does it have a stop built in?

2. Being chicken I was scared to pull it because I figured I would never get the thing rethreaded. Is there anywhere that explains and shows this better? The little picture in the book does not show a whole lot. And buying it from Scuba Toys, I did not have the dealer there to demonstrate it for me. I'm sure its easier than it looks, just have not had time to really mess with it a whole lot

3. The instructions also mention something about a shoulder dump valve if so equiped. And said you pull on the corragated inflator hose. Is the Ranger LTD equiped for this? I tuged a little with no results but did not want to give it a mighty yank of anything. Its to new and my luck I'd pull the whole dang thing off!

4. Last question, I bought the optional crotch strap. When adjusted there is almost a foot of extra strap hanging of the buckles. Do you leave this or cut them to fit and burn the ends closed? Just seems like you would not want that much strap hanging

Thanks
David

As for #1- I am to afraid to pull mine also, give Scott Zeagle a PM.
As for #2- see #1
As for #3- Yes it will blow with a strong pull, it also seems to be the overpressure
relief valve.
As for #4- I cut mine off.

You only have to pull it about a foot,there are two threads,one for each side.There used to be a stop in them although some we sold didn't have them.(no big deal,except that you run the risk of losing it if deployed in open water.) As far as rethreading it its not that hard to do,just look at it before you pull it. The dump is a wire cable inside the flex tube, if the bladder is full it will be asy to tell if you have one. Now do you see why we advocate buying this type of equipment at an authorized retailer? I am sure Scott wont be to happy to hear that his products are being sold with no training. We always spent time showing the customer everything about them and even included a pool session if they wanted. BTW dont put on the 30 lbs it will ruin your air consumption.

Yep, I know why you advocate buying at an authorized dealer, but I have no local dealer and from what I've been told and Scott confirmed Scuba Toys is a fully authorized dealer and it includeds the full factory warranty. Would be alot easier though if Scott would quit riding that gravy train and get a dealer set up in the Dayton Oh area : ) just kidding Scott. Just wondering, not sure what you mean by don't put on the 30 lbs it will ruin your air consumption. Are you refering to one of my past posts were I said my instructors put 30 lbs of weight on me which I thought was to much???
Thanks
David

From wscdive:
Now do you see why we advocate buying this type of equipment at an authorized retailer? I am sure Scott wont be to happy to hear that his products are being sold with no training. We always spent time showing the customer everything about them and even included a pool session if they wanted.
---------------------

Scubatoys is an authorized dealer for Zeagle, both in store, and for online sales.

The products aren't being sold without training... the diver already received training in the form of an Open Water scuba class (which explained general BC use), and in the manual that came with his/her BC (which explains the use of that particular BC).

The question re: the ripcord system is answered on pages 16-18 in the Zeagle Manual, complete with diagrams and step by step instructions. If you don't have anyone to show you... just follow the instructions carefuly one step at a time. It might take you a little longer to figure it out at first... but you should be able to figure it out.

David- If you're overweighted, buoyancy control will be much more difficult. You will require more air in your bc, and any small corrections will be exaggerated. When properly weighted, acheiving neutral buoyancy is much, much easier.

-B

fairbanksdiver:
From wscdive:
Now do you see why we advocate buying this type of equipment at an authorized retailer? I am sure Scott wont be to happy to hear that his products are being sold with no training. We always spent time showing the customer everything about them and even included a pool session if they wanted.
---------------------

Scubatoys is an authorized dealer for Zeagle, both in store, and for online sales.

The products aren't being sold without training... the diver already received training in the form of an Open Water scuba class (which explained general BC use), and in the manual that came with his/her BC (which explains the use of that particular BC).

The question re: the ripcord system is answered on pages 16-18 in the Zeagle Manual, complete with diagrams and step by step instructions. If you don't have anyone to show you... just follow the instructions carefuly one step at a time. It might take you a little longer to figure it out at first... but you should be able to figure it out.

David- If you're overweighted, buoyancy control will be much more difficult. You will require more air in your bc, and any small corrections will be exaggerated. When properly weighted, acheiving neutral buoyancy is much, much easier.

-B

I think he was talking about gaining 30 lbs. (as mentioned in the original post).

If you do rip the cord, let us know how it goes. I also have a new Ranger and have been afraid to rip it so as not to have to spend hours rethreading the thing.

When my Brigade gets in early next week (same harness as Ranger), I'll post detailed step by step pics on how to rethread it.

It looks like Zeagle's system is very similar to a parachute release (which would make sense given Zeagle's history), and I am familiar with those systems, so not imagining this to be very difficult.

-B.

Just got my new Zeagle Ranger LTD in last night, Have not had a whole lot of time to play with it yet, but so far after adjusting the side panels it fits great!! Hate to say I'm a little surprised but at 240 and 6' I was worried I would be too big for the large I ordered by going off their sizing chart. Hell with one more adjustment left on the belt I think I could gain 30 pounds and I would still be able to wear it. Anyhow had a couple questions
1. How far do you have to pull the weight release to release the weights. Just looking I'd have to guess you would have to pull it 3 feet before the thing unthreaded. And does it pull completely out or does it have a stop built in?
The rip cord does come out completely (on mine at least). It is easy to pull and pretty easy to re-thread. Just check out how it is threaded before you pull it.

2. Being chicken I was scared to pull it because I figured I would never get the thing rethreaded. Is there anywhere that explains and shows this better? The little picture in the book does not show a whole lot. And buying it from Scuba Toys, I did not have the dealer there to demonstrate it for me. I'm sure its easier than it looks, just have not had time to really mess with it a whole lot

3. The instructions also mention something about a shoulder dump valve if so equiped. And said you pull on the corragated inflator hose. Is the Ranger LTD equiped for this? I tuged a little with no results but did not want to give it a mighty yank of anything. Its to new and my luck I'd pull the whole dang thing off!
The dump valve on the shoulder is activated by pulling the inflator hose. It works better if you are pulling while holding the inflator piece and not the hose since the cable is attached to the inflator mechanism.

4. Last question, I bought the optional crotch strap. When adjusted there is almost a foot of extra strap hanging of the buckles. Do you leave this or cut them to fit and burn the ends closed? Just seems like you would not want that much strap hanging

Thanks
David

Thanks everyone, I figured it all out except for the re threading. Figured I'd wait till Saturday when I have more time. One thing I found that I thought was strange is that the manual I recieved with the BCD really did not show the rethreading process well at all. I then did a google search for a Zeagle Ranger LTD service manual, and it found a PDF file of the zeagel owners manual I think from Zeagles web page. It looked about exactly the same but the one I downloaded had more information and better directions for rethreading the release. Must be a newer or older release of the one that came with mine.
Thanks
David

The rethreading is actually very easy go ahead try it. (and yes i was talking about you gaining the 30 lbs in the original post)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom