Just a little rant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquatic Eagle

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone. If you haven't seen me around, I am Colin. I am a diving instructor with Norwegian Cruise Lines. I frequent the Cruise forum now as a self-named unofficial NCL Cruise Consultant. I am 21 years old. So that's me. Here's my rant. One of my co-workers right now is another instructor, 30 years old and brand spanking new to the company and cruising. I have always tried to act older than I am and I think of myself as a pretty mature person and a responsible person. This guy constantly calls me kid and sometimes talks down to me because he is older. He is a typical NCL Diver meaning, shallow with women and drinks a lot. That isn't me. He says he's more emotionally mature because he's older. My rant is this, don't call me a kid until I act like one. Thanks everyone for your attention, I had to get it off of my chest. Because tomorrow, if it happens, it will get off my chest again. Thank you, and goodnight. :)

Well just tell him that you don't like being called kid, enough said.

On a side note: I enjoyed my NCL SUN cruse in May of 2002. Hopeing to get on another one soon. Sounds like that life can get quite fun, though I did dive, it wasn't with NCL.

Must be nice to have free Internet access when we had to pay like 1.25 a min or something like that, =(

Just the fact that you post here regarding such a subject prooves his point, doesn't it???

Ok, I think maybe his a little imature, and you a little too mature...........don't sweat it bro, just have fun, you are only young once, enjoy it. One of these day you'll have to buy school shoes for your little snot nose...........

NatureDiver,

I'm sure you conduct yourself very well but you'r 30 year old buddi is a kid compared to many.

At 21 you want to feel old...at 30 you do... and sometime later you are.

Heh, don't worry, this happens to all of us "kids" in many aspects of life. My mom always told me, its not about being the _older_ person, its about being the _bigger_ one. (by bigger she meant better, there's a language barrier in there somewhere.)

I think its perfectly reasonable to come and vent here. Its only human to want to seek an outlet for your frustration, this is a much safer and more productive one than bottling it up, and losing control and doing any regrettable damage.

Incidently, which NCL route are you on?

Chin up, just take this experience and use it as a guide of how NOT to be when you're 30. You'll be making the world a little better in the long run.

NatureDiver:
Hello everyone. If you haven't seen me around, I am Colin. I am a diving instructor with Norwegian Cruise Lines. I frequent the Cruise forum now as a self-named unofficial NCL Cruise Consultant. I am 21 years old. So that's me. Here's my rant. One of my co-workers right now is another instructor, 30 years old and brand spanking new to the company and cruising. I have always tried to act older than I am and I think of myself as a pretty mature person and a responsible person. This guy constantly calls me kid and sometimes talks down to me because he is older. He is a typical NCL Diver meaning, shallow with women and drinks a lot. That isn't me. He says he's more emotionally mature because he's older. My rant is this, don't call me a kid until I act like one. Thanks everyone for your attention, I had to get it off of my chest. Because tomorrow, if it happens, it will get off my chest again. Thank you, and goodnight. :)

Don't sweat it Kid, when they start calling you Pops and you will wish you were a kid again. :wink:
It was a short trip from"kid" to "pops', enjoy the ride.

cheers,

I like that one, Mike . . .

When we are born we know nothing and rely on others for everything
When we turn 5 we see we know nothing and ask tons of questions.
When we turn 10 we start to beleive we know alot.
When we turn 15 we're sure we know almost everything.
By 20 we know we know everything and start to make sure everyone else knows we know eveything.
At 30 we're not realy sure anymore?????
We turn 35 and it's starting to look like we question all we knew.
At 40 the questions are really deep and need to be answered.
Now we get to 45 and all that we knew and all that we questioned seem trivial.
At 50 we understand how little we ever really knew or understood about life.
Fred

You know, I find it disappointing that every single person so far has only put this guy down and essentially told him to just enjoy life while he's young.

At 29, I'm not quite as young, but I face the same agiesm at work. I work for a very old fashioned, family owned company who think change is a dirty word. I am daily called "just a baby still" and pooh-poohed about my age. It IS ageism, whether each of you realize it or not. We are consistently called "Generation X" (or in Colin's case, Gen Y), and faced with the stereotype that we are young, lazy, jaded, etc. and often just ignored in the workplace without regard for our individual work ethics.

All Colin asked for was a little guidance from us "older", "wiser" generation and all he gets is made fun of--each of you have, in essence, reinforced his complaint.

Colin...sometimes, unfortunately, it does require sucking it up and taking it.....but only to a degree. I have become adept at smart remarks that sound like ribbing on the surface, but are equally a dig in return....delivered with a nice little smile...."Just a baby? But didn't you say you already had three kids by the time you were my age?" Or, in your case, "Yes, I'm so glad I have this opportunity WHILE I'm still young...I'd hate to be your age and doing xyz".......
Try to enjoy the positive aspects of your job...there are many of us who are envious of you because you are not already stuck playing desk jockey :) and realize that if this person is that shallow, his opinion is simply not worth taking your personal time worrying about (Easy for me to say when I don't have to deal with him daily, I know)....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom