Just a little rant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe you should just start calling him "gramps" ... :D

Semi-seriously Colin ... the guy's probably got some insecurity issues and is taking it out on you. Personally, I'd just tell him I don't like it ... and if he continues then ignore him altogether. Really, you can't do much to change people like that.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob beat me to it.

Every time he calls you Kid, call him Grampa, or better the more formal GrandFather. Always address him in formal language and call him GrandFather in every you say to him.
If he asks a yes/no question you answer, "Yes GrandFather" or "No GrandFather".

I bet he will get tired of it real quick.

Some people will call a younger person "Kid" as a term of affection but it doesn't sound like that is the case here.

pipedope:
Bob beat me to it.

Every time he calls you Kid, call him Grampa, or better the more formal GrandFather. .

Nah! Call him "old man"!! Hey! I'm 61 and I'm still a kid!

Barracuda2

fgray1:
When we are born we know nothing and rely on others for everything
When we turn 5 we see we know nothing and ask tons of questions.
When we turn 10 we start to beleive we know alot.
When we turn 15 we're sure we know almost everything.
By 20 we know we know everything and start to make sure everyone else knows we know eveything.
At 30 we're not realy sure anymore?????
We turn 35 and it's starting to look like we question all we knew.
At 40 the questions are really deep and need to be answered.
Now we get to 45 and all that we knew and all that we questioned seem trivial.
At 50 we understand how little we ever really knew or understood about life.
Fred
From what i hear, somewhere between 70 and 80 you start forgeting what you thought you knew and at 90 you dont know that you know anything.

I have always had the same trouble as Colin, its just what happens when one is more mature than those of the stereotype of their age group. At 26 i am the youngest of my roommates, they are 29 and 31, whenever someone new comes over to the house they always think i am the oldest there when they talk to me and are surprised by my age. The 31 yr old acts like a college kid 24/7, so i guess i dont really have that much competition for maturity from him :wink:

I like to keep young in all my ways, and that is part of what keeps those ageism jibes from affecting me. Unfortunately its just part of life and growing up it seems. Those who are older, particularly those only a few years older (decades older is another thing altogether) in general are the worst culprits when it comes to looking down on those around them who are younger, they arent necessarily any more mature, in fact some are just plain immature in comparison, but that small edge of a few extra years in life makes them believe they are better/greater than you, just due to their insecurities in life.

Sticks and stones dude! dont let him worry you, or go with the pipedopes advice and call him old man, Viejo or gramps.

People are not decieved by shallow personalities and lack of maturity covered by a thin facade of superiority, and if they are, then you probably dont want to take much notice of those people ad they are much the same.

I find that life is WAY too short to spend time with people I dont like, or worrying about what they think. Dont waste you time or bile on him.

NINman:
Well just tell him that you don't like being called kid, enough said.

On a side note: I enjoyed my NCL SUN cruse in May of 2002. Hopeing to get on another one soon. Sounds like that life can get quite fun, though I did dive, it wasn't with NCL.

Must be nice to have free Internet access when we had to pay like 1.25 a min or something like that, =(

Yeah right, free internet access. Not quite. :) We have to pay too. Back on the topic though, this guy doesn't worry me and doesn't upset me really, just annoys me. He's ok sometimes but I live in the same cabin so he gets old pretty quick. Either way, nothing like this changes the way I enjoy life or how I live life, it was just a rant. He gets stabs back from me and everything cools down. Just ranting a bit since I don't do it very often. Nothing like this is gonna bring me down. I live on a cruise ship, I teach people to snorkel in exotic places, I travel the world, and I get paid to do it. Life is good with or without people like this. Thanks for positive comments though. :)

MikeFerrara:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty
and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!".

I feel like that already and Im only in my mid thirties!

You sound like a very mature 21 year old... But let's be honest, you are a "Kid" to many of us old folk!!! If you don't like being called that, tell him or kick his old ---!!! That just may do the trick!

dont sweat it, i use it as a "term of affection" to my best friend.. He is 2 years older than I am , howevr I am far more worldly and experienced....

Han Solo called Luke Kid all the time... Its a term of endearment in most cases..

Out of curiousity, maybe you could inform the rest of us divers here what its like being a Scuba guide on a cruise line. I bet you have good stories.. Also,not to be nosey, but what does one average in earnings aboard a cruise ship. ?? It sounds like quite an adventure..

I'd be insterested in findong out what you need in terms of experience to even be considered for a job like that...it sounds like aces...I'm sure it's got annoying aspects too, but I would give it a whril :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom