Just acquired more vintage gear, please take a look.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of thoses were old oxygen tanks converted for diving.No shops are going to fill tanks with bushing.They make nice displays.

True, I am afraid finding a shop that will fill them will be hard but there is a silver lining to this. Since they are only 1800 psi get a transfill whip and cascade a few 80's or what ever other tanks into them.

Scubatoys has got great deals on transfill whips. Combine a TW with a couple of big HP tanks and you can top off a lot of vintage LP tanks.

My LDS already said they would charge me for two tanks if I brought them in even though there's only one fill point and the total CF is only around 80.

I had a dive shop pull that one on me once. When I pointed out that they held less than an 80, lower pressure=less wear on the compressor, and single fill port causing no more hassle for them than a single, and asked, "Why?", they just looked stupid and changed their mind. If they say it's because they weigh more or are harder to handle, offer to do the moving for their wimpy asses.

Second part, reference 1958.. Is that when they got involved with Lloyd Bridges and a little tv show called...Sea Hunt?

Many of us started diving using CO 2 tanks that had a 1" pipe thread. We would use a steel bushing to size it down to accept a 1/2" K valve. Remember these were pipe threads that are tapered 3/4" per foot. That is why they will tighten up. Modern 3/4 tank valves have a straight threads will not tighten up. They depend upon sandwiching an O ring against a shoulder to tighten and seal.
Most dive shops outlawed bushings to keep people from using CO2 tanks and in order to sell regular scuba tanks. Steel bushings are not dangerous.

Many of us started diving using CO 2 tanks that had a 1" pipe thread. We would use a steel bushing to size it down to accept a 1/2" K valve. Remember these were pipe threads that are tapered 3/4" per foot. That is why they will tighten up. Modern 3/4 tank valves have a straight threads will not tighten up. They depend upon sandwiching an O ring against a shoulder to tighten and seal.
Most dive shops outlawed bushings to keep people from using CO2 tanks and in order to sell regular scuba tanks. Steel bushings are not dangerous.

These have a bushing with a 1" outer pipe thread and an inner 3/4" straight thread with O ring.
I could get creative with the JB weld and disguise the bushing on the outside so all they would see is the inner 3/4" straight thread. These young new tank jockeys, all they would look for is a current VIP and hydro. If they give me grief then I'll just get a trans fill whip and bleed off of my HP120 and they can kiss my ass.

Add:
I went into an LDS yesterday to get a 72 filled. It needed a new burst disc but the girl working there wouldn't sell me one because she didn't know which one it needed. I said just get me a 2250 and I'll install it right here and now I do this all the time I know what I'm doing. She said nope, you'll have to come back and have the owner do it. I said OK thanks and left. That LDS is junk in my mind and I will never go back.

I go to another LDS closer to my house and the older guy working there has a burst disc and he sells one to me. I pop it in and he fills my tank. $7.00 to fill an LP 72. Then I brought in 19 CF pony and asked how much to fill it, he said $7.00. You got to be kidding! I said oh come on for a little 19. He thought it was rediculous too so he filled it for free. It's the owners policy but the owner never works on Sunday.

Sounds like you've got some miserly dive shops down there. Around here it seems like all the dive shops will give you free fills if you're a regular customer.

I think it probably pays off too. There have been many times where I could have bought something for less online, but I'll go in and buy it at the LDS because that's where my free fills are coming from and I want to keep 'em coming.

It helps that the usual shop I go to also has very competitive prices.

ZKY, first thing I noticed was that the first stage hooks to the top and mine has always been down with knob up, puts the DH higher, not to mention a bit more involved to turn off. But for new regs it might work out better, I mean hey if your loosing air its just plain time to surface.

Happy Diving

ZKY, first thing I noticed was that the first stage hooks to the top and mine has always been down with knob up, puts the DH higher, not to mention a bit more involved to turn off. But for new regs it might work out better, I mean hey if your loosing air its just plain time to surface.

Happy Diving
I tried turning it so the knob was up and the valve opening was down to get the DH lower but the stupid hookah port on the DA hits the big nut that holds the center piece in and then the DH sits cockeyed. So it looks like either I use the Healthways low or the DA high.
I refuse use a single hose reg on those twin tanks for fear of being hunted down and shot by a vintage purist who may see a candid photo (unknown to me) posted on the internet. I will only use a double hose for my own personal safety.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom