Just another guy looking for advice -- dive destinations...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey there rling. I personaly haven't seen any Whites in The Channel Islands, though I'm sure they are around. All the GWS I've had the excitment of seeing were up in central California. Quite the humbling sight. I'm sure you have a tale or two from your side of the Pacific.

Unfortunately we seem to have killed most of ours late last century :-( I believe you need a multi-day trip out of SA to have much chance of seeing one. Though if you believe the media here, they're everywhere... wobbegongs and little whalers mysteriously turn into GWS every day! ;-)

The closest I got to one was in South Africa, off Gansbaai. In case you didn't know: the top side is kinda rough like sandpaper, but the underneath is quite smooth. :)

Cheers
R

Diggerled's experience with Dive Palancar in Cozumel is apparently VERY different than ours. We were forced to come up after 45 minutes MAX every dive. There were dives I was back on the boat with 1700 psi. Very frustrating. So even though our DMs were very nice, I personally will NOT dive with Dive Palancar again.

To the OP: if/when you're able to make the trip, I think you'd really like Bonaire. Macro photography opportunities abound. Dive as long as you want (on the shore dives). We were there last week and usually cut our dives "short" only because our fingers and toes were wrinkled messes, not because we were out of air. Most of our dives were 70 minutes or more. In 6.5 days, we did 22 dives, ranging from 60 minutes to 83 minutes.

Why not consider Cayos Cochinos?

Its great diving in an isolated place. Giving you prime choice over the dive sites!
Macro Photography as well as shooting the bigger stuff out on the sea mounts!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom