Just back from Blue Angel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nursediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Great trip! We really liked the dive op. Our dive masters were Mateo, Jose and Norman. They were all great-felt more like diving with friends. Once they know you are able to safely follow your computer and had bouyancy control, they just sort of lead the way. We had little to moderate current. Columbia deep and Columbia shallows last week had no current at all. Loved the smaller boats-roll back is an easier entry. Take your BC off in the water and just walk up the ladder. There are no moarings so they want you to be ready to go when they get there-put your wet suit on half-way before you even get on the boat and set up as the boat is leaving the dock. Boat captains are pretty amazing when you think about it. No GPS - they just know exactly where to drop you off by memory-land marks.

The resort restaurant was just great. We only ventured out twice. (We went to La Mission in town - don't waste your time!!) Rooms were just fine - plenty of room. Showers always had plenty of pressure and hot water. Heard comments about hard beds and road noise. Beds were just fine for us and close your bathroom door and you won't hear the cars. There is a speed bump right outside the hotel and they slow down and then accelerate right there. It really slows down at night anyway. Also the construction next door is still going on, but it really wasn't too bad at all. We enjoyed the pool area almost every afternoon. We went into town 3 times - very hot this time of year so bring water, but it only took about 20 minutes.

Eva and Rob are the owners and are really nice people - we chatted with them quite a bit - very warm and friendly. The entire staff was genuine. You can tell they all treat each other well.

All in all, we felt like it was a liveaboard on land - very convenient. The other guests had been returning for years and we will too. We made some new friends and enjoyed diving and hanging out with them. Some said the dive masters are a little more attentive then Scuba Club Cozumel, which also looked nice, but I think their boats may be more crowded (?) We never had more then 6 divers. One boat had 13, but they were a group from Texas who wanted to be all together - great people by the way!!

Great trip - great diving - great staff!!!

Hey Nursediver. Glad you had a good time staying and diving at the BA. I stayed on the 4th floor and the water pressure was a little weak but not bad. Road noise was very minimal and at night it was okay, very few cars. What are they doing next door with the construction and when will it be finished? Did it go on into the evening?
The resort restaurant is nice, but I always enjoy going into town for dinner, then a taxi back or vise versa.
Can't wait for October............:goingdown:

Hey Nursediver. Glad you had a good time staying and diving at the BA. I stayed on the 4th floor and the water pressure was a little weak but not bad. Road noise was very minimal and at night it was okay, very few cars. What are they doing next door with the construction and when will it be finished? Did it go on into the evening?
There are two separate projects near the BA.

One is right next door where they are refurbishing the two finger piers in the little private marina. While I was there May 1-11 they finished one of them and got a lot of the demolition work done on the other. One night they were jackhammering until nearly 11 PM; it wasn't too bad in the room, but it was pretty obnoxious out around the pool during the day. They will most likely be done with the noisy bits fairly soon if they aren't by now.

The other is a much bigger project; it is the building of a new ferry pier up by the lighthouse. It's quite a bit farther away, which is good, but they work on it 24/6 (they are off on Sundays, apparently), and there's no way to know how much longer it will go on. The only time it bothered me was in the very early morning when I like to go out and lie in a hammock to watch the island wake up.

Another ferry pier? Wow.
thanks for the update Gordon. We are returning to the BA in October/November. I like the rooms up high for the view, but the ground floor rooms have the hammocks and maybe larger rooms.

Another ferry pier? Wow.
Yes; it's for the car and supplies ferry that docks down by the cruise ship pier now. They are building a bunch of infrastructure for it across the street.

The contruction workers took a siesta during the afternoon and worked into the evening, sometimes up to 10:00 pm, but it really wasn't too bad. They were jackhammerring away on our arrival day, but then they were doing other stuff. It really didn't bother anyone. Robert was telling us about the pier they are building.

yes, going into town was also fun. Have you tried Rolondi's? It's next to Margaritaville. Great food, wonderful service, nice waterview, reasonable prices. I recommend it. Also an easy walk.

Have a great time in October!

That's the first I've read about a new pier. Is it north or south of the lighthouse? I remember a vacant area between the lighthouse & Hotel Cozumel, but from the little beach (that the sand washed away from) south had several beach clubs with only small vacant areas between them.

That's the first I've read about a new pier. Is it north or south of the lighthouse? I remember a vacant area between the lighthouse & Hotel Cozumel, but from the little beach (that the sand washed away from) south had several beach clubs with only small vacant areas between them.
It's just north of the lighthouse, I believe.

From a lot size standpoint there'd be enough land in that area, but as a regular at Hotel Cozumel I don't think this is what I'd want next door. I guess I'll find out next trip which should be in Feb.

From a lot size standpoint there'd be enough land in that area, but as a regular at Hotel Cozumel I don't think this is what I'd want next door. I guess I'll find out next trip which should be in Feb.
They've paved a big area across the street from the site, too; I guess that's going to be for parking, container staging, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom