Just bought a G10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although the Canon housing is significantly less than the Ikelite, there is definitely a huge difference in the quality and features. Ike's extremely durable housing build, better controls, and of course the TTL functionality, makes the Ike housing a much better choice. Budget is always a decision factor, but in my eyes its worth waiting to save the extra few hundred so you do it right the first time.

I'll second the 'Pros comments. I started with a A570IS in a Canon housing, and less than a year later I find myself with the housing and camera replaced with a dSLR system and a new pair of DS-125 strobes. I could have saved a bit by starting with the good stuff.

While I agree that you can save some money by "going for the gusto" immediately, I see absolutely nothing wrong with investing a bit of money on a WPC housing and learning to shoot underwater. I started with an old 5.0mp Canon and a Canon WPC housing and loved everything about it. It took me two years of shooting that before I decided to invest and upgrade. I still have the old one as a back up or for my GF when she dives with me. I see nothing wrong with starting small and working your way up. It does cost you money in the long however you are able to grow your UW photography talent with your equipment. You are also able to stop when you are comfortable with what you have rather than spending all your money on something that you may not use all the time.

Don't get me wrong, I am not arguing to stay away from the higher end systems but just that there really is nothing wrong with learning and starting on a smaller system. I think people need to know how serious they are before they make the full investment (just my opinion). In fact, I wish that I had started with a full system up front but I know of at least one person that went all out and then became a vacation diver. Ooops.

Absolutely, we all have to start somewhere and with something. My point is just that if its within reach, going for the Ike housing over the Canon is well worth the extra $$$.

Definitely agreed. As long as they know it is more than a passing fancy (is that even possible?) then I say go for it. LIke I said though.....my Powershot S50 and the Canon housing was the greatest thing I had ever bought myself when I got it. Now my P5000 and Ike system is the best.....hopefully someday I will be worth trillions and I will be able to afford a top notch DSLR.

Absolutely, we all have to start somewhere and with something. My point is just that if its within reach, going for the Ike housing over the Canon is well worth the extra $$$.

does anyone know if with the G10 Canon housing you can use the on-board flash (e.g for close-ups)? i understand that for the Ike housing you will not be able to do so, and so will need to use a strobe if you want light.

i love the sturdiness/build quality of Ike housings (have one for my S80 after flooding my previous 2 cameras inside their Cannon housings!) but also like the ability to travel light if necessary, leaving the strobe at home. The S80 Ike housing can use the onboard flash (and it works extrememly well for macro stuff), but the port on the G10 one blocks it due to the travel of the lens....my S80 is getting old and worn out, so looking for an upgrade sometime soon and not ready to splurge on housing my dSLR yet.

....would be expensive to have to buy both housings, but may be necessary for what i want !

Now that I got the camera I need to find the right housing and strobe, and I don't know where to start.
You really would have been better off figuring that out BEFORE buying a camera. Luckily for you, Ikelite does happen to be in the process of working on a housing - but it will be a while before its out. I think Canon is supposed to have one too, but I heard their housings suck. I'd be inclined to buy the housing in conjunction with the strobe, so you can be sure to get stuff that works together OK.

FWIW, I got a Canon G2 and Ikelite housing, with a DS-125 and digital sensor thingie that worked great. I got some REALLY good pictures with it on the GBR. Given how old the camera is (around 2003, 4MP), I would think that just about anything on the market today is going to get you some good pictures - but strobe is key. If you don't have a good strobe, you can basically forget about getting good pictures.

I'll echo the above comments about the Ikelite being big and bulky. It's too bad it has all that extra dead space around it. But it does seem to do a good job. My strobe on the other hand mysteriously up and died for no good reason as far as I can tell. Kinda sucks - those things are expensive.

Good luck!
nd

does anyone know if with the G10 Canon housing you can use the on-board flash (e.g for close-ups)? i understand that for the Ike housing you will not be able to do so, and so will need to use a strobe if you want light.
I think with macro work, the housing will cause a shadow. But probably less of a shadow than you'd get with the Ikelite's larger port. The Canon does come with a diffuser, but my guess is that the shadow will still be evident.

I'll second the 'Pros comments. I started with a A570IS in a Canon housing, and less than a year later I find myself with the housing and camera replaced with a dSLR system and a new pair of DS-125 strobes. I could have saved a bit by starting with the good stuff.
Can you share what the difference in cost between the 2 systems was?
Thanks

Bob, with the latest announcement of the new Seatool housing for the G10 coming out, I would definitely consider that as my top choice if your budget allows for it. The fiber optic system is perfect for use with Inon and Sea & Sea strobes.

one can even look at Patima housings. They are considered to be really good and sturdy with a great depth rating. G9 users really love those. They have announced a G10 housing . 10 bar will also probably be going in for a g10 housing.

:::: PATIMA UW ENG CO.,LTD. ::::

10 Bar Underwater Housings

cheers,

Diggy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom