Just bought Sony DSC-W80 in a MPK-WD housing - do I need a red filter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SupahDuck

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Just bought Sony DSC-W80 in a MPK-WB housing - do I need a red filter?

Hello everyone!

Before I ask my question, I just wanted to thank everyone for the insightful information across all the forums! My wife and I are *just* getting into the world of snorkelling and scuba, and so many of the (useful!) answers we've found have come from SB.com. :D

I'm now the proud owner of a gently used Sony DSC-W80 in the *older* style (circa 2007, as near as I can tell) MPK-WB housing, with the *circular* lens housing, not the oblong housing you see on the current MPK-WD.

A couple of questions:

We'll be doing snorkelling in the Bahamas and Roatan, and a PADI "Discover Scuba" course at Sunset House in Grand Cayman, which means the deepest we'll go is 40ft, obviously.

At those shallow depths, will I need to worry about a red filter on the MPK-WD housing? If so, what would you recommend? External strobe a requirement, in case the sun isn't out? I've been looking at a couple of used Ikelite AF35's on the big auction site - is that a good pairing with my camera / housing?

Anything else I should need? Please forgive all the n00b questions.... I've made my best effort to Google / forum search for answers, but haven't found much on my specific configuration.

For clarity's sake, I've attached a photograph of my actual camera, so you can see the lens housing shape.

Thanks in advance, and happy diving everyone!

Edit: My apologies, it looks like it's the MPK-WB housing.... post corrected...

Camera & Case.jpg

---------- Post Merged on November 6th, 2012 at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous Post was on November 5th, 2012 at 04:07 PM ----------

Never mind.... after reading a lot of the "red filter" threads in the general photography forum, I'm *very* quickly learning that for my camera setup, a red filter ain't doing a whole heck of a lot, *especially* for the dive / snorkelling conditions I'll be using it in.....

And since there's no RAW mode or manual White Balance adjustment, I'm going to have to take my chances, and keep all the other factors in mind.... i.e. sun angle, distance to subject, ISO, flash on/off, camera motion, etc etc etc.

I'm just glad that I'm somewhat proficient with Photoshop and Lightroom, but the old maxim of "garbage in, garbage out" applies as always. Let's see what I can do with this (I'm quickly realizing) *beginner* setup. :)

Thanks to all who have covered these subjects in such complete and readable detail in other threads.... I do appreciate the information.

Now I have to start saving up for some *real* equipment. :-D

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom