Oceanic+ Dive Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dulinor

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got this email from Oceanic:

TLDR: 60 meter Dive Housing for iPhone that allows you to use it as an underwater camera and non-AI dive computer. $489

Honestly... I'm intrigued. I used to dive with a Sony RX100 w/ housing and lights and have more recently "downgraded" to a GoPro plus housing. The computer features aren't that interesting (although hey, always nice to have a backup) but the phone in my pocket is usually the best camera sensor I have on me at any particular time. Uses the same subscription as the Watch app, but subscription not needed for gauge mode and using it for the camera.

I suspect finding a reliable way to trigger strobes will be an issue, but it's certainly no worse than what I'm doing with a GoPro these days.

[Not sure if this is better in the Oceanic manufacturer forum, I guessed]

Never mind, apparently this was announced and discussed last year?

It's still news, because it was finally launched today.

oceanic-dive-hwousing.jpg

I am seriously considering using this as a replacement for my TG6 setup currently. Several members of my club use an iphone in a sealife housing w/ a video light as their camera setup, and I am hard pressed to really knock it looking at their results after our most recent trip to Beqa. I run a TG6 w/ a dual strobe & video light, but honestly, the strobes just seem to help capture backscatter more than anything else. And it's a 15lb carry-on or "personal item".....makes a ton of sense to just toss this housing in a backpack and Im ready to roll.

I just finished a trip to the Bahamas with the Oceanic Housing. Most of the time I needed to connect to cellular for the app to show I had a license to use it. That was $10 per day. Luckily I had cellular. If I didn’t, it would have been a useless brick. Oceanic needs to fix this fast or I’m returning it.

Back
Top Bottom