Just DX with Parkinsons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil:
So Shakey..... when you get on board the Peter Hughes Liveaboard and you are about to fill in the disclamer and the liability forms and they ask you " are you under the care of a Physician for any medical problem" What do you say ???????

First, a bit of semantics...nearly every adult is under "the care" of a doctor...if you have a PCP, you are under the care of a doctor. I interpret this question more narrowly...are you under treatment by a doctor? Simply getting an opinion and a possible diagnosis, with no treatment, doesn't qualify IMHO. So if you receive no meds, therapy, etc, I think the answer to that question would be no.

If this sounds legalistic or disingenous, consider this; do we consider every complaint we make to a PCP should be disclosed on a medical release form? What about constipation? If we take metamucil on the advice of a doctor, do we need medical clearance to dive? If it's not worthy of active treatment, is it worth disclosing?

Also, a person can be seriously impaired, yet not under the care of a physician... example, a person with mild cerebral palsy from birth...they may be 20 years old and, despite minor motor impairments, have not seen a doctor in years because their condition is stable and not disabling and they are otherwise young and fit. They may or may not be able to dive safely, even though they are not under a doctor's care. And does treating myself count? Technically, if I take an aspirin for a headache, I am being treated by a physician. So if you take no meds, you can say no, IMHO.

That said, however, tremors are not an affliction one can hide. If I were to go on a liveaboard, with or without treatment, I would call them before booking and discuss the issue with them frankly and ask them what medical clearance they would accept prior to making that financial/time outlay. As I said, tremors are not a stealth diagnosis.

So, in my case, I dive locally and in FL with people who know me. If I go to a new dive operator in the Caribbean, I dive with a hired DM and, usually the day before a dive, meet with the owners and let them know and see my situation in person. I don't blindside them. I believe that, in the case of motor impairments, discussing the situation and letting them see for themselves is the best approach. Simply showing up at the boat, and expecting to be buddied up with a stranger, with any visible impairment is not fair to the operator, even with a medical clearance. A tremor as minor as yours may not count, but I want to be fair to the operators and other divers. Plus, I can afford to hire partners, so I have no need to bug other paying customers with my problems, minor as they may be.

On the forms, I simply state that my medical condition is the same as it was when I was certified (true). So far, no one yet has cared or objected because the left hand tremors are not disabling. The average dive op is worried about people with bad hearts croaking on them, or epileptics seizing, or schizophrenics decompensating, not minor motor quirks that don't affect dive skills. My trips combine business and diving, so if a dive op were to say no, it would not be a disaster for me... on a trip made specifically for diving, however, especially a liveaboard that will be out at sea and far from immediate medical care, the issue would have to be disclosed to them in advance of booking. I'm thinking of booking wih Nekton next year and that's exactly what I plan to do.

So, to answer your question, I would be honest, and I wouldn't wait until I hit the pier to do so...

Hello Phil and Shakey, I just came upon this thread and if you are still checking these accounts would benefit from knowing how things went for you. I am a dive instructor and have a customer that has Parkinsons and would like to help him in the best way and safest way possible. He is cleared by his doctor to dive but his motor skills do not allow him to manipulate his LPI or do proper entry and exit. I have seen situations where a dive shop can accommodate handicapped people by having private guides take care of things for them as they enter and exit as well as in the water, so I am wondering what happened in your experiences that I might learn from.

Hello Phil and Shakey, I just came upon this thread and if you are still checking these accounts....

Shakey last logged in on on May 30, 2012; Phil on August 25, 2014.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I just read this thread and finally made the connection. I think I was on Shakey's last dive in Belize in March, 2010. His disease had progressed to the point where he didn't think he could dive safely anymore. He let the the dive operation know about the PD and hired a personal DM. His wife was very worried and talked to my wife about it when she found out that my wife was not the DM but was a nurse. He was happy after the dive and his wife was relieved.

Back
Top Bottom