Just finished PADI eLearning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gas management is, in my opinion, a big hole in the basic education of divers. But my good friend, NW Grateful Diver, has an excellent essay on it on his website (other excellent essays as well).

The most valuable lesson from having realized this is to know that your OW education wasn't complete, and there is a lot more to know about diving.

The most valuable lesson from having realized this is to know that your OW education wasn't complete, and there is a lot more to know about diving.

Since we're resurrecting a dead-thread from years ago, I wonder if the OP will stop by and tell us if his instructor ever covered it in the classroom session.

PS - I'll invoke the old "it's not the agency, it's the instructor" chestnut by pointing out that my PADI OW instructor covered both rule-of-thirds and rock-bottom gas management.

I finished my padi-e just last friday got to pool and OW dives on last sunday, we selected the instructor who talked us the best info on the phone I called two places on my vacation trip and the third was a little mom and pop shop they took a lot of pride in only working with people that want to dive my wife and I did the s*** out of that elearning reading everything we could, I do agree it was fast and you dont get any real live experience from that class its all on a website how can you, however my wife and I learn fast and we learn good. the instructor we selected I talked to on the phone for about 30 min prior to even signing up for the class and test and OW, once we got to the vacation spot we 1st thing went to our instructor shop we talked over everything and got all the info we didnt on the test (the elearning actually says to do that as well, also if the shop you are working with is on top of things they allow for online discussions and Q/A which makes it a little better)

but back to my feedback on the matter. Its all what you put into it that you get out of it. I had another guy with us who just wanted to get cirted because his family told him to, it was obvious he didnt care it came to dive table work and he said "no reason to learn this I have a computer that will do it for me" my wife and I were shocked.. this guy even sat thru a 3 day class NO e-learning he said he just didnt pay attention because the instruction in the class said if you use a computer you dont need this..

SO is e-learning better then a class of 30 students?

all depends on what you put into it to get what you want out of it. for me my instructor was AWESOME worked with us 1:1 in the pool to make sure we knew things small first then built on it.. as for the e-learning my wife and I learn good with computers (we are younger and thats how we learn to learn, with computers etc)

so be it elearning, XXXX certification, classroom, speed dive, all can dive.

If you dont want to do this, if you dont love to do this, if you dont care to learn you wont.

my only regret about elearning and diving is that I didnt do this 10 years ago!

Do an AOW course well worth it

Holy dead thread batman!

To tell you the truth, I can't remember exactly what was said in the OW class. I did really like the instructor though. I later did Ice, Drysuit, and Rescue with him.

Its tough to believe its just been 2 yrs from the start. I've now done OW, AOW, Nitrox, Ice, Drysuit, and Rescue. I've dove in the Carribean, the great lakes, inland lakes, and quarries. I'm getting ready to do some diving off the mid-atlantic coast and I'm thinking about doing Divemaster. Actually, this weekend there is a PADI go pro event that I'm planning to go to to decide if I want to do it or not.

And ............ I now dive a DSS BP&W w/ a long hose :mooner:

nothing wrong with revisiting a thread why keep it on there in the first place??
Happy all good

To add to my post from a few days ago, I signed up for the divemaster course this weekend. I hope I can remember how to watch my air so I don't run out. They might flunk me for that.....

As a former instructor, I'm not a big fan of e-learning. I guess I am old school and like to get that face to face time so I can evaluate each student for me to determine the best approach to making it safe,fun and enjoyable for them.
During the confined water and open water portions I would point to my gauges, about every 10 or 15 minutes, have them look at theirs and tell me how much air they had to get them in the habit of checking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom