Just finished "The Last Dive".

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. The thread's activity is sure to spike...

Not to restart what has been an ugly debate on SB over the years, but in Gary Gentile's book (basically slating Shadow Divers) he writes that there was a video running on the deck of the Seeker that day, and that the video footage indicates that JC didn't actually say anything to the Coastguard at all.

Don't want to get embroiled in another ugly fight, but just sayin' that there is a third inconsistent viewpoint of how it went down.

Not to restart what has been an ugly debate on SB over the years, but in Gary Gentile's book (basically slating Shadow Divers) he writes that there was a video running on the deck of the Seeker that day, and that the video footage indicates that JC didn't actually say anything to the Coastguard at all.

Don't want to get embroiled in another ugly fight, but just sayin' that there is a third inconsistent viewpoint of how it went down.

I have missed much of this ruckus being relatively new to diving forums but my gut tells me to stir clear of Mr. Gentile's accounts due to the sour grapes theory. In those threads which I have breezed through several posters who know Chatterton personally state that it is extremely unlikely he kept silent given his penchant for chatter.

It also seems his silence during the Coast Guard's involvement would be highly unlikely given his trauma care background as a Army combat medic although Gentile debates those credentials as well. Lastly, was the entirety of the Coast Gaurd's involvement recorded via audio and video? Once again, I am very much a late comer to this saga.

Last edited:
Interesting information. I recently purchased Shadow Divers and after reading this thread, I am intrigued to start reading my book even sooner than I had originally planned.

I like both of the opinions expressed, however I agree that John would not have remained silent, would anyone really if a life was at stake? Wouldn't we fight for our buddies?? I know I would, however I would defer to the highest medic as I am not certified above basic firstaid and cpr. Keep these opinions coming. Now, I wonder, when Coast guard reports are considered (if ever) public record? Hmm??

I just finished Shadow Divers two days ago and The Last Dive just before that, I noticed the same thing about the Coast Guard rescue. Could barely put them down once I started reading.

I haven't read Shadow Divers, but I did enjoy (overall) The last Dive.

For my review of the book, it seemed poorly edited, with anecdotes repeated several times (one that springs to mind is the Rouse's bad luck with gear failures), and some that seem to abruptly end having made no point. That did not take away from my overall enjoyment of the book.

As far as the specifics of the Coast Guard Evac, it is possible that the time between writing and the event coupled with the nature of events has clouded the memory a bit. I'm curious what actually happened, but it doesn't seem huge either way.

I like both of the opinions expressed, however I agree that John would not have remained silent, would anyone really if a life was at stake? Wouldn't we fight for our buddies?? I know I would, however I would defer to the highest medic as I am not certified above basic firstaid and cpr. Keep these opinions coming. Now, I wonder, when Coast guard reports are considered (if ever) public record? Hmm??

I am not ex-military/Coast Guard but I do have a limited law enforcement background. In my opinion, I doubt public reports of this nature cover such details. The exception being, if the disagreement delayed the rescue or physical conflict ensued. Perhaps some posters with such backgrounds can chime in...

Just a thought (from a military standpoint): Only certain people are certified to determine whether a person is actually dead. The Coasties may have been required to follow certain protocols. e.g., not assuming a person is dead just because an unknown someone says so. That being said, they had no choice but transport both patients. However, I don't know if that was the case in this situation, or that those rules were even in effect. Anyone here have more definite knowledge this subject?

Not many have ever questioned Mr. Chowdhury's work with The Last Dive.
It might be interesting to ask him about this discrepancy directly. You can go to his web site: Bernie Chowdhury. and email him. I have had a couple email conversations with him, and he is quick to answer, and seems more than happy to discuss the book. He's also a SB member, but isn't around here much.

Just a thought (from a military standpoint): Only certain people are certified to determine whether a person is actually dead. The Coasties may have been required to follow certain protocols. e.g., not assuming a person is dead just because an unknown someone says so. That being said, they had no choice but transport both patients. However, I don't know if that was the case in this situation, or that those rules were even in effect. Anyone here have more definite knowledge this subject?

That policy certainly has logical merit. Posting this question on the military roll call thread may shed further insight into the discussion. I will do you shortly...Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom