Just got back from Yap and Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjardin

Contributor
Reaction score
What a great trip--I really enjoyed both this trip, both above and below the water.

Yap was wonderful--we stayed at the Manta Ray and dove with their operation. Or guides for our time on yap, Alex and Chomed, were beyond compare. This was my wife's first time diving in the ocean--only Dutch Springs quarry dives before that--and they made sure she was totally comfortable. Service doesn't even begin to describe these guys--it's more like family. For instance, one of the women on the boat (of the 6 of us that went out) lost a weight pocket from her BC and noticed it the next morning. That evening, after our dives were done, Chomed went back out on his own time and found it for her.

On shore the staff went out of their way to make us comfortable. Theo especially--if you go, make sure you do the tour of the old airport (plane crash tour--Japanese Zeros, a Japanese bomber, and a Continental 727). Be careful of the mud and of slipping (I wish I had brought my jungle boots from back in the day)--especially when it is time to push the tour van out of where you get stuck.

Oh--and by the way, the diving was outstanding. Mantas, Sharks, little stuff, big stuff.

From Yap, we went to Palau. The women convinced me to stay at the PPR--I was originally going to stay at the West Plaza Malakal--and if you can afford it the PPR is definitely the way to go. Granted it is a bit Disney, but the minute you step outside the gate and head into Koror you will be happy you spent the extra money. While the people are very nice, the town is less than picturesque (e.g. Massage Parlors--yes, that kind). It kind of reminded me of Washington Blvd in Newark. The driveway of Sam's kind of made me miss my M4.

We dove with Sam's -- Daniel our guide was great (although our first dive with them shouldn't have been my wife's personal max & at the MOD for 32). The diving was beautiful--you really can't beat the Blue Corner with a stick. If you go, make sure you order your Bento box ahead of time--these things are great & the alternative, a soggy sandwich, is a piece of crap comparatively. You typically pull up to a beach on one of the Rock Islands to eat--it is really beatiful. Even the rats are cool there. The climb to Jellyfish lake is treacherous/dangerous/evil--once again I was looking for my Jungle boots, although the guides did it in flip flops (then again they have 3 inch callouses on their feet). One thing I missed was a tour of Pelileu--I really wanted to see the landing area & battle site, but the weather got too rough the day we were going to go. At dusk look up--they have HUGE bats there that are really cool to see soaring around.

Sorry I haven't described the dives more. When I have time I will try to write more & post some crappy pics. New camera, first time w/ pics underwater, etc--but even so when I figure out how to post them it will make the story a whole lot easier to tell.

For now, here is a link to a video shot in Yap that I posted to Youtube, hopefully it works:

YouTube - A video of a few sharks in Yap

And by the way, the flight from NY is a bit long. I wish I had stayed over in Honolulu for a day or two. And make sure you are flying on widebody planes with the larger coach seats--737 & 757 tiny seats get hard fast. Or better yet, fly first class (and buy me a ticket back while you are at it).

JJ

nice to hear that the crew at Yap still provide excellent service. Manta Bay Divers has been the snazziest dive accomodation we have ever had - i could move in!

that part of the world is real nice to get to - the trip is a pita but once youre there its really really nice

cheers and thanks

Do the DM's actually instruct the divers to "sit" on the reef and on the coral? That was a bit of a shock to see? The situation with all of the sharks looks very cool though....I do envy you for that. I hope to make it there someday.

So what is wrong with West Plaza Malakal?...close to Sams, Kramers etc.....LOL...cannot beat the PPR but being I go about every year and not entertaining anyone....West Plaza works. I've known Daniel before he was a DM he is great.

Good report give us details on the diving when you have a chance.

About sitting on the coral--most of that coral is dead--she seems to have found the one live bit to grope right on video. There doesn't seem to be much diving pressure there, luckily (or not for the dive ops)--I think we were the only dive boat out on the whole island that day. Apparantly Typhoon Sudal, Runoff & warming seem to have had a huge impact. Also there seems to be evidence of overfishing.

PPR vs. West Plaza
I don't think anything is wrong with the WP--there was one person complaining that the water was non-potable & the front desk was charging a good deal for bottled water... What I mean is that there is a HUGE difference between the PPR & anything on Malakal--and if you are travelling with anyone who expects a nice, scenic, resort like atmosphere, the PPR is the way to go. Malakal & Koror are not the nicest looking areas--and the island is a bit more developed than others, so I think it has sort an an urban-depressed feel to it. I think that nothing exemplifies this more than the gate to the PPR--it is a gate to another world. On one side there is lush, well manicured grounds--outside the gate is the skeletal concrete remnants of some building covered in graffiti w/ stray dogs roaming everywhere. This kind of urban island look is jarring when you come from Yap---which is definitely not rich, but has a laid back kind of almost undeveloped atmosphere definitely jarring to those used to resort areas (e.g. Florida, Hawaii, Cozumel).

If I were travelling alone or with a bunch of guys--the WP is the place to go because of the cost & proximity to Sams--this is why I originally booked there. There was no way that I would be able to convince the ladies I was with to stay there--and we had the means to pay the extra for the PPR. Some examples: If you go to NY and stay at the Milford Plaza or the Hilton Newark (and take the path in to NY) as opposed to staying in the Waldorf Astoria (I think the PPR is nicer than the Waldorf). Or perhaps a motel in kahului instead of the Grand Wailea or Four Seasons (although they are probably a notch better than the PPR). Or one of the outriggers that are way inland in Waikiki vs. the Hilton Hawaiian.

The PPR has some issues--the bartender doesn't know how to mix drinks (but he errs on the strong side), we had some baggage issues (e.g. after 45 minutes I had to go find the guy with our bags -- he was taking a nap on the stairs), the rooms are only OK for $400 a night, most ocean view rooms are overlooking the pool/bar & they have a Japanese oriented lounge singer who assails your ears everynight (we stayed in one of the out of the way pods--if you book there ask for these--much more privacy--we were in 13??--I think it is the 15 pod which is the nicest--and close to the dive pier).

Sams
Cool place. Daniel is really cool--he even played "dress up" with the ladies on the boat--see the pics.

One thing--they really need some fans in the gear room--nothing seems to dry in Palau in the wet season & it seems to get funky. Also--if I catch the jerk that moved my camera so his camera could have its own wash basin---he is pretty lucky, I seriously considered tossing his fairly expensive (7? 8? grand) gear over the wall and into the bay.

But I don't want to complain--the worst thing about my trip was that I blew threw my tip budget by a few hundred dollars. And I really have to figure out how to fly first class. Being able to use the Presidential Clubs at the airports helped (especially in Guam)--but those seats get hard, especially if you score a 737 or 757.

Forgive the ramble.

Attachments

• Daniel Getting Dressed.jpg
    Daniel Getting Dressed.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom