Just got my REEF fish survey forms!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

algal bloom

Contributor
Reaction score
I am excited that I just received my scantons from REEF, "Tropical Western Atlantic including Florida, Bahamas, Bermuda and Caribbean". Now the weather needs to calm down so I can go out and start using them. They read like an entry from my log book except that there are the 200 fish to choose from. I like the fact that they have the option for additional species plus sea turtles. They even shaded in the uncommon fish/commonly misidentified fish so to be cautious when identifying these. Anyway, I'm just happy they are here. If anyone hasn't seen what they look like, I'll be happy to show them to you on our next dive!

Nathan

I just ordered mine on Monday. Great minds think alike!

(Be very afraid...)

-Grier

What's even scarier, is that Chris and I just ordered our forms too! We're all going GEEK! LOL Rick and Angie, are you next??????

Rebecca,

I don't know if Chris told you, but I was telling him on Saturday that you can fill out you membership info online if you haven't already. You don't have to mail the cards in (unless you really want to).

Nathan

Sorry to be the newbie, but... What exactly are these REEF fish survey forms? :06:

:classic:

You can find detailed information here:

http://www.reef.org/data/surveyproject.htm

The bottom line is that REEF is a conservation group that uses volunteers (i.e. recreational divers) to collect information on the health of coral reef species. As you dive more and more, you may find, like many of us here, that you get more interested in learning about what you are seeing. The "Gosh, there are a lot of fish down here." response shifts to a mode similar to young boys collecting baseball cards, swapping tales about who saw what, arguing the finer points of species identification, etc. It's all in good fun, and we have a great time trying to find unusual species or trying to figure out what life stage different fish are in. (It's surprisingly difficult!)

Many of us have the Reef Fish Identification book/CD, which is an invaluable tool for making sense of the whole thing. I heartily recommend getting a copy after you're certified. It makes the experience much richer.

But back to the REEF surveys. I can only speak for myself, but I find that, as I spend more time in the water, I become more aware of the fragility of the ecosystem there. You don't have to look far before you see evidence of pollution and reef destruction, from tires and beer bottles to damage caused by boat groundings. It makes you pretty humble, and makes me want to do something, even something as minor as reporting the species that I encounter, to try and help contribute to the goal of protecting the reef environment.

There are two organizations, Reef and Ocean Watch foundation, that offer fish identification resources to divers. They're both going to be at Ocean Fest. You might want to take a moment or two and check them out. They can explain their role much better than I can...

Many safe ascents,
Grier

Hi SunMari!

Welcome! I am very new to this crowd also. I just wanted to say that the Reef Fish Identification book by Paul Humann and Ned Deloadch we keep talking about is one of the best purchases I've made in a long time (well, next to my tank I just bought, but it doesn't teach me much except Charles' law!) Whether you want to do the surveys or just learn a few names, it is a great book! I think it runs about $40. Look forward to diving with you!

Nathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom