Just How Tired Do You Become on a Liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd definitely go with the T&C Explorer, its brand new and Explorer Ventures' boats are generally cheaper than an equivelent agressor boat. I was on the Caribbean Explorer 1 and even though it was an older boat the crew was excelent and the food was great/ very plentiful. You should do fine as a novice on a live aboard, just don't plan on losing any weight.

Thanks for all the input guys.
Vertaqua thanks for your feedback - but Aggressor is the same price and offers the $200 discount on future dives. Also the Aggressor is in more places I want to dive. That is the primary reason I want to go with them over the Explorer. I do appreciate your comment though because it is probable that I do end up with the Explorer people if I only dive for one week.
Now, guys - excuse the dumb newbie question - but why is Nitrox less tiring than Air?
Pasch

paschen:
. . . - but why is Nitrox less tiring than Air?
Pasch

For the same reason that running a race is less tiring at sea level than in the mountains. More O2 available for your muscles to metabolize.

theskull

I guess I should read up on this Nitrox thing or at least find someone who knows about it.
Doing the course on board sounds like a winner.
Tar
P

I was on the T&C Explorer and it was very good. Heard nice things about the Aggressor as well so I don't think you can go wrong with either.

As has been mentioned, liveaboards are a great way to work on your skills so they are terrific for new divers if the diving is appropriate (ie - don't go to Cocos). I don't do anything but liveaboards anymore. It really spoils you.

paschen:
Hi guys.
I have the option of doing two weeks on a liveaboard over Christmas - two one week trips back to back (1.5 days in port between).
I have never been on a liveaboard (though going over Easter for 3 days but need to make up my mind before then) so I am unsure just how exhausted you get with so many dives a day. I have spent a week diving, but it was two dives a day and shore based - and while I didn't get tired, we did nap between dives a few times.
By the end of the week are you just so incredibly shagged (it means tired not sexed out) that I wouldn't get the same level of enjoyment out of the second week?
Any advice would be a great help.
Tar in advance
P

paschen,

Only as exhausted as you want. What's great about the LOBs is that you can dive as little or as much as you want. Also boat rides to dives sites are typically very short which makes it much less tiring than long boat rides. If you want the most bang for your buck LOBs are the only way to go.

Rickg

just a few thoughts on this for you:
I did a livaboard for my first post cert dive and it was awesome. Diving that much made the stuff a lot more second nature by the time we were done. But my first live aboard was on air and I was tired and got a few headaches and sat out a few dives at the end.
My husband and I did the Nitrox cert on our honeymoon trip and I felt much better throughout the trip.

The two things that really help me on liveaboards are:
1.) extra layers you get cold diving repetitively...
2.) ear drops to dry out ears between dives since you're going up and down so much.

Have an awesome time!
Kate

I spend a month in PNG every year and 3 weeks of that is on a liveaboard. We have 5 dives a day at our DISPOSAL. No one makes us dive. I often watched the 6:30 dive go out with a mug of coffee in my hand, gently waving. I never missed the night dives, which many would pass on. I usually did four dives, but on some days only did three. Whatever blows your hair back.
Whatever you do, make sure that you take one bathing suit for every dive you plan in a day. That way you can switch out after every dive and not have to sit around in a wet suit. Your wet suits will be dry by the next day, usually.

It all comes down to pacing yourself. I've never done a 2 weeker but I've been on several 1 week liveaboards. By about the 3rd day my motor generally starts to wind down, which is a signal that I need to push back. In response to my body signals I back off to 3 dives/day at that point and start drinking a lot more water. It generally takes almost a day but I do rally and my energy is back where it belongs for the last 2 days of diving.

Everybody's metabolism and energy levels are different but to avoid the "bottoming out" syndrome I now take it easy right from the beginning. I will do 4 dives/day but I allow longer surface intervals, drink a lot of water and take lots of cat naps.

'Slogger

Quero:
You *can* get pretty tired, and then you just skip a dive...take a nap on deck while the boat is quiet and everybody else is in the water, choose to sleep in until the second dive of the day, call it a day before the night dive, whatever.

It's also true that diving on Nitrox is a huge help. It certainly makes it easier to stay awake during dinner!

That about sums it up. My body adjusts to the pace after the first two days but even then I'll skip a night dive or two if I'm fatigued later in the week

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom