Just saw this on bonairetalk- 2 police reports in 2 days.....Another break in

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jujubeess

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We love bonaire and go every year, I saw this and just thought I would forward it to this forum.
This is my 2nd full day on the island and we have filed 2 police reports in as many days.

First, 2 kids jumped onto our porch roof and were trying to gain entry into the bedroom sliding glass doors. They were scared off by someone in the house. The police came, found the kids at the house next door, and made them apologize.

Second, around 3:30am we heard some noises in the living room (everyone was in their rooms asleep). We came downstairs and found a chair had been pushed against the living room door, several items were stolen (alcohol, 2 Go Pro cameras, cell phone, and one of our truck keys) and the intruder(s) attempted to open the safe. They used an object and broke tile around the safe (it is bolted to the floor) and broke off the combination pad. In addition, they helped themselves to juice and food in the refrigerator before leaving. We suspect they heard us get up, open doors, and ran outside before we got into the living room. They seemed to be only interested in the electronics - as they did not take any dive gear. Unfortunately, because of the design of our rental house, we had to leave a sliding glass door unlocked into the living room/kitchen, as one of the rooms is a complete lock-out and could not get inside the main house if it were locked.

The police came, took a report, and suggested the criminals were hungry and poor. The police, both times, told us crime is terrible on the island and has only gotten worse over the years. 2 calls to the police in less than 24 hours has me seriously reconsidering another visit to Bonaire.

Those of you who don't believe the posts about crime -- I am here to tell you it is real and there is no telling what these criminals would do if they have enough nerve to enter our house at night while everyone was asleep. I have been to the island 12 times in the past 14 years and can attest to the crime being worse.

My advice would be to think twice before renting a house, especially one that has bedrooms that lock-out from the main house. This is our 2nd year in the same rental house (Hamlet Villas). I would feel much safer at Buddy's or a similar dive resort that provides some type of basic security.

I know some will blast me for talking negative of the island...but those planning a visit need to be aware of the terrible crime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom