Just tried my new Zeagle Brigade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kabluton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Larry over at Scubatoys gave me a great deal on a Zeagle Brigade. Those guys are the best! :D The Brigade is a hybrid that was created by putting the bladder of an Escape on the harness of a Ranger. I already have a Ranger LTD but found that it is hard to pack and weighs a ton. For warm water recreational diving it is overkill. That is why I decided to get a Brigade on the advice of Larry.

I tried my new Brigade in the pool this past weekend and I love it. I normally use about 16 pounds of weight in saltwater with my Ranger LTD. With the Brigade I was properly weighted in the pool with 2 pounds. What a difference! Even adding the recommended 7 pounds to compensate for saltwater it means a whole lot less weight I have lug down to Cozumel next month. I can't wait to do some real diving in my new BC. It seems extremely comfortable and should increase my SAC rate.

What do you think accounts for the fact that the Brigade has so much less positive buoyancy than your Ranger?

jonnythan:
What do you think accounts for the fact that the Brigade has so much less positive buoyancy than your Ranger?

The bladder on the brigade is not only a smaller lift capacity, it's a whole lot smaller bladder as well due to differences in materials and construction. I have a feeling that he may not have been getting all the air out of the Ranger bladder, and is doing a better job of it with the smaller bladder. Just my opinion, and hey, I could be wrong :D

jonnythan:

One thing for sure, the Ranger LTD displaces a whole lot more water than the Brigade. I may have been a little heavy with 16 lbs but it worked for me and have just stuck with it.

When I did my weight check for the Brigade in the pool I did have a full cylinder so I may have to account for that. I guess I'll take 12 lbs to Coz to be on the safe side.

kabluton:
it means a whole lot less weight I have lug down to Cozumel next month.

Eek! I'd been counting on not taking any weights at all! I'd expected to get weights either from our dive op on the boats or from the hotel's op for shore dives, since they all say weights are included with dives or tank rental. I just don't see the point of lugging weight, even my nice Sea Pearls, around unnecessarily. I'm sure they just use lead block weights, but those should work nicely in the Zeagle. Or am I missing something?

mstevens:
Eek! I'd been counting on not taking any weights at all! I'd expected to get weights either from our dive op on the boats or from the hotel's op for shore dives, since they all say weights are included with dives or tank rental. I just don't see the point of lugging weight, even my nice Sea Pearls, around unnecessarily. I'm sure they just use lead block weights, but those should work nicely in the Zeagle. Or am I missing something?

I like my soft weights. Sometimes the dive ops have weird shaped blocks. I don't like to leave anything to chance!

I am thrilled that you are happy with your new purchase, however, 12 pounds of difference in the two BCs is quite high!! Were you wearing the exact same gear (wetsuit, etc.) in the pool as you wear in saltwater with the LTD? Are you much more comfortable and relaxed in the pool as opposed to saltwater?

It is great that you dropped that much weight, I am just trying to figure out exactly how!! :)

Scott

ScottZeagle:
I am thrilled that you are happy with your new purchase, however, 12 pounds of difference in the two BCs is quite high!! Were you wearing the exact same gear (wetsuit, etc.) in the pool as you wear in saltwater with the LTD? Are you much more comfortable and relaxed in the pool as opposed to saltwater?

It is great that you dropped that much weight, I am just trying to figure out exactly how!! :)

Scott

I think when I am in saltwater the difference between the Ranger and the Brigade will actually be about 4 pounds. The Peak Buoyancy chapter said I would have to add about 7 or 8 pounds to compensate for saltwater so that would put me at 10lbs in saltwater. Since I didn't bleed the cylinder down to 500 psi I will need to compensate for that too. I guess I will take about 14 lbs of soft weights with me just in case.

ScottZeagle:

Scott

I would think that the scout has much less positive buoyancy, correct? No cummerbund, less fabric, etc. Is this true? If so, I could see this as a real advantage in warm water.

kabluton:
I tried my new Brigade in the pool this past weekend and I love it. I normally use about 16 pounds of weight in saltwater with my Ranger LTD. With the Brigade I was properly weighted in the pool with 2 pounds. What a difference! Even adding the recommended 7 pounds to compensate for saltwater it means a whole lot less weight I have lug down to Cozumel next month.

kabluton,

I'm thrilled you love your new BC!

Here's some facts about your BCs:
Your Brigade and your LTD, for all practical purposes have the same, amost zero, inherent buoyancy.
All the parts that have a little inherent buoyancy are in the vest, and they are the same except for the LTD's lumbar pad, which is neutral.
The only other difference is the bladder, and neither has any inherent buoyancy, unless you have some air in them.

Your buoyancy test has to be done with consistency. Same suit, gear, and water.
The two keys:
1. A 500 psi tank
2. An empty BC. (Suck the air out of it to be sure.)

I'd run one more test, and just for giggles do it with both BCs.

The good news is you will enjoy diving with your LTD much more in the future.

The Brigade will travel to Cozumel much lighter and more compactly, so enjoy your trip!

Chad Carney
Zeagle FL Rep. & TDI/SDI Instructor 250.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom