Juvenile yellow box fish???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zippsy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
33756_164089370286695_156583347703964_423678_2134310_n.jpg

Juvenile yellow box fish??? This guy was a tiny (about 1cm). Those are the fronds of a feather star in the background.

Found at Tasi Tolu, Dili, Timor Leste at 17m.

I was sort of impressed myself. :p The photo was taken by a great dive buddy and photographer, Lani Timbrell. I just stole it from her for ID purposes.

Actually, Tasi Tolu is a perfect dive site for finding little critters like this. The main part of the site is about half the size of a basketball court and it has only two pieces of coral bigger than a basketball. Despite that, on 8 dives there, I have seen a paddleflap scorpionfish (Rhinopias eschmeyeri), 2 different weedy scorpionfish (Rhinopias frondosa), a leaf scorpionfish (Taenianotus triacanthus), lots of adult and 3-5 cm baby common scorpion fishes, several thorny seahorses (white & yellow), Halimeda ghost pipefish, ornate ghost pipefish (including juveniles, bamboo shark, frogfish, dozens of Ambon shrimps of all sizes, as well as lots of shrimp gobies of different colors, anemone shrimp, porcelain crabs, banded coral shrimp, several species of nudibranchs, a school of razor fish, a Napolean snake eel, a flathead, cuttlefish, a reef octopus imitating a crab on a night dive and dugongs!

Just look closely and you are bound to find cool stuff. Admittedly, the dugongs don't hide well.

Admittedly, the dugongs don't hide well.

Master of understatement! :rofl3:

A friend of mine spent a full year searching for dugongs off the Northern and Easter Australian cost in 1979. Trust me, they hid pretty well over there. It took him six months to find the first one. This was a research project. He has an incredible presentation. I'll post if anyone is interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom