JVC DVM90 and cheap JVC "marine" housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driftin' by

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was recently looking for a replacement battery for my old and tired JVC DVM90 camcorder on JVC's website and noticed a marine housing for it for only $99! I first thought it was a "splash" housing but it is actually something more substatinal with a depth rating of 30m. I haven't even gotten the chance get into UW photography much less videography but was wondering if this would be a worthwhile expenditure for a true novice. With some light reading on the subject of UW videography, it is obvious that JVC isn't the leader in the field and therefore, there isn't much to be said about the housing or compnenets for it. Does anyone with the same housing and camera have any opinions about it? I understand that the camera's low light performance isn't very good.... would I need to buy video lights? Also, I assume I would need a red filter of which JVC doesn't make... are these available through an aftermarket vendor? $99 isn't too much to get started with UW vids but I don't want to make the investment, as little as it may be, only to need to spend big bucks to get decent videos while subjecting my very good, topside camcorder to flooding. Any thoughts or advice are always appreciated.

I happened to notice the same thing a couple weeks ago. Seems like a reasonably priced way to get started in u/w video esp. since you already have the camera. You'll lose most of your light around 90' anyway generally, even in the Caribbean it seems to get too dark below that. I don't have lights so I generally don't shoot much below 60'

You can probably get a filter from UR/Pro: http://www.urprofilters.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom