Kahe Pt. (aka "Electric Beach") dive :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So VblueV and I drove out to Electric Beach (didn't they used to call this "tracks?") where he gave me the grand tour. We started out heading toward the ledges toward the north, then out to the boat mooring in 40 fsw, then back to the pipe to play in the flow for awhile - what a blast! We started heading in and realized we still had half our tanks left, so he showed me the ledges to the South and after 79 minutes we called it quits - fortunately as I was starting to get a bit cold... of course hanging out in the warm water from the pipes sure felt good. Vis was around 70ft, temp was 75* on my gauge (forgot to check by the pipe - probably 78-80*) and lots of life. The highlight was watching several squid just hang out. Photos and video below - the video is just 4 clips "shoved" together, but it shows the fun of playing in the flow.

Aloha, Tim

2.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

8.JPG

First of 4 whit tip reef sharks we saw, but only one decent photo

10.JPG

14.JPG

NEVER use digital zoom ... "this" is what happens :wink: ... still it was the best close-up of a squid I've gotten yet. Such incredible animals to observe.

18.JPG

22.JPG

I had no idea how incredibly BIG the pipes here were till seeing them ... wow - those must be some big pumps to push that much water out continuously.

Tim, nice pictures and video. How big was that squid? 2 feet? Tracks is a little more towards the Waianae side. Where you can still see the railroad tracks. About 150 feet or so. There are showers there. It is a bodyboarding spot. I used to go there a lot...wow!...10 years ago.

The squid was probably 18 inches long - largest one either of us had seen before.

The scooters have a burn time of 45 minutes at max power, 90 minutes on lowest power - sometimes an upgrade to the new "Cuda" is tempting ... 3 hr run time on cruise speed (same as mine in high gear I've been told)

Thanks to JJ for showing me such a great time out there and being a great navagator - Always a pleasure to dive with someone as solid in the water as he is, plus great topside conversation to boot :)

Aloha, Tim

I'm so glad you got to dive there!

Doesn't it seem like the pipes are a big spa for fish? Did you notice some of them just hang in the wash facing into the pipe?

hey tim.. yeah, thanks for the cool dive!

those scooters made quick work of the entire north-reef around to the 40fsw mark..
followed by several laps in front of the pipes..
then a cruise over to the south-reef shark-caves..
and back to the pipes for more acrobatics..
all 80 minutes on a single tank!

'still couldn't believe how fast we got to the first shark-cave approaching the north reef!
(that's usually a long 10-15 minute kick heading 300°.. seemed like only a minute or two)

here's tim in front of that cave..
tim_ebeach.jpg

a couple more sharks in the next cave over..

shark_ebeach2.jpg

and another angle on that large squid..

squid_ebeach1.jpg

would've had more photos..
but not averse at steering the scooter and shootin' pictures simultaneously :wink:
yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom