Katana 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most certainly! You have to account for the BP, band, and manifold weight. That’s probably 8 ish lbs right there!

Here's a photo of my second dive in sidemount by the way. Tanks seem like they're trimming out super nicely but I'd definitely be open to critique.

I also got some videos of my first dive in sidemount at: Ryan - Google Drive

In the videos of my first dive you'll notice the wing lifting a lot. I did fix that for my second dive, didn't have the crotch strap installed correctly and it was coming loose. Also, in that first video, I'm initially trying to grab a light out of my pocket which is why my trim looks a little wonky.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1608296967389.jpg
    FB_IMG_1608296967389.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 137
Here's another picture from my first sidemount dive. Again, I did fix the wing lifting issue. Would love to get your thoughts and any suggestions/critiques you may have.

Attachments

• Sidemount 1st dive.JPG
    Sidemount 1st dive.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 141
Here's another picture from my first sidemount dive. Again, I did fix the wing lifting issue.
I think the stock bottom-of-wing to crotch strap attachment is one of the weaknesses of the harness when they elected to use such slippery crotch strap material. I think one of the CA guys added either a static line or a thicker bungee alongside the stock bungee (that runs between the grommets) that helped. I added a serrated tri-glide to mine so just be cognizant to make sure however you fixed it stays fixed.

Are you running the wing bungee through the crotch strap? Depending on height, I think keeping it as a belly band and not running it through the crotch strap help keeps the wing in a better position.

Cylinders look fine horizontal alignment. I'm partial to the crappy plastic 1.5" face SPGs rather than the 2" or 2.5" brass and glass so they stay straight alongside the cylinder and not flop around. Overall it's clean in that "style" of cylinder orientation. If you have modular valves (with the knub opposite valves) you could run them 30-45deg more internally rotated like AL80s and take advantage of fifth port but I'd finish out class like you are rigged and play with it down the road.

I think the stock bottom-of-wing to crotch strap attachment is one of the weaknesses of the harness when they elected to use such slippery crotch strap material. I think one of the CA guys added either a static line or a thicker bungee alongside the stock bungee (that runs between the grommets) that helped. I added a serrated tri-glide to mine so just be cognizant to make sure however you fixed it stays fixed.

Are you running the wing bungee through the crotch strap? Depending on height, I think keeping it as a belly band and not running it through the crotch strap help keeps the wing in a better position.

Cylinders look fine horizontal alignment. I'm partial to the crappy plastic 1.5" face SPGs rather than the 2" or 2.5" brass and glass so they stay straight alongside the cylinder and not flop around. Overall it's clean in that "style" of cylinder orientation. If you have modular valves (with the knub opposite valves) you could run them 30-45deg more internally rotated like AL80s and take advantage of fifth port but I'd finish out class like you are rigged and play with it down the road.

This wasn't a class, just a buddy taking some pictures/video at Alexander Springs. I just read some online articles/watched some videos and asked a couple buddies some questions regarding the best way to rig the tanks, etc.

In answer to your questions, I am clipping the bungee to hold the wing down across my belly/chest. I didn't even think to run it through the crotch strap. The valves are modular - broke down my doubles and just put plugs in. Unfortunately the Dive Rite regs I'm diving now don't have the fifth port, but I may get some new regs soon to remedy that as I could definitely see a benefit to running inflator hoses off those ports or something along those lines. Agreed on the stock crotch strap being super slippery! I ended up running the slack end through two serrated tri-glides so hopefully it stays. Regarding the SPGs, they actually do stay where I put them pretty well. These are 2in brass and glass ones and I think I had just pulled it over to look at my pressure. I appreciate all the insights and suggestions!

I might be that California guy lol.

The lower attachment of the wing does appear to be the K2’s weakness. I did add a bungee down low to pull the wing down. I’ll snap a pic later today.

I might be that California guy lol.

The lower attachment of the wing does appear to be the K2’s weakness. I did add a bungee down low to pull the wing down. I’ll snap a pic later today.
CA = Cave Adventurers but your mods have been nice to see.

I also put a big bungee from the bottom of the wing to the lower plate grommets to keep it low. Works great!

Here's what I did, small bit of bungee thru a serrated slide. Tension can be adjusted by moving the slide. (pay no attention to the inflation bottle, my buddies are A%%40les)
IMG_1133.jpg

And here is how it sits whilst diving:

IMG_1134.jpg

Back
Top Bottom