Kauai and Big Island advice, please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bethie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be on these two islands at the end of March with my non-diving partner, and am wondering if there are any "do not miss" dives that I should plan on doing. We will be doing the Manta night dive/snorkel (as we did last year and was spectacular for both of us).

I am considering the Blackwater dive as well. Is it worth my time and money and time apart from my partner to try any AM boat dives on either island? Jack's Diving Locker on the Big Island takes snorkelers along on their morning 2 tank dives, but I wonder if that would be any good for the snorkeler.

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

Aloha!

You must be getting pretty excited! I've worked on both islands and there are some great diving and snorkeling opportunities on both for sure. One adventure that I always suggest to people is the WHOA charter (Wild Hawaiian Ocean Adventures). It's a snorkel adventure like no other! The staff is fantastic especially Deron. They take you to hidden gems where there are opportunities for in water time with critter like Mantas, Grey Reef Sharks, Rough Toothed Dolphins, Pilot Whales, False Killers etc... As it's the ocean you never know what you may see but nobody has the frequency and success rate of these guys. The boat is fast and super comfortable. The Humpback Whales will still be around as well which is an added bonus. The two of you could spend time in the water together this way for a memorable experience. I'm a long time dive instructor in the islands and it's the only non-diving activity that I do over there.

As far as Kauai (my home) ...

You could both enjoy the turtle habitat of Koloa Landing where you are sure to have up close and personal time with the giant Green Sea Turtles there. It's a protected bay that is loaded with all kind of amazing critters. Often we'll get a pair of visitors where one is a non-diver and they can both enjoy the water there above and below. It's located on the south shore near Poipu/Lawai. Kauai's boat dives CAN be more adventurous as the surface isn't nearly as calm on the regular basis that you find on Big Isle (Yes, we are jealous of them). Often the first dive is not snorkel friendly because of depth or being a drift. I feel like most of the Kona dives are close to shore offering a more ideal situation for a snorkeling / diving experience.

I've really enjoyed diving with Big Island Divers in the past especially with Corrine. She's really great with divers.

If I can help you with more info on Kauai please feel free to send a PM direct to me and I'd love to help you with anything I can. I've been instructing here in the islands and have a fair amount of knowledge (mostly from sea level down admittedly). It certainly doesn't have to be dive related either if you have any questions.

Have a wonderful day
A

Most dive sites on the Big Island are close to shore so snorkelers can enjoy them as well. Make sure you ask about prerequisites for the blackwater dives. Some shops require previous night dives with them within thirty days.

Make sure you ask about prerequisites for the blackwater dives. Some shops require previous night dives with them within thirty days.

I rather got the impression that they were possibly just trying to sell more dives with their "prerequisites." They (BID) said they required a daytime evaluation dive before the Manta Ray Night Dive but I only did the night dive with them. And they had a "prerequisite" for the Blackwater Dive however they "invited" me to go on that dive before I even did the Manta Dive even though I told them I'd never done a night dive before. Maybe I looked too poor to afford all of those dives. Unfortunately the Blackwater Dive was cancelled due to weather so I can't tell you about it but before I went to Kona someone here said "don't miss it" so I think that answers your question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom