Kauai Diving General Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Theredotcom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everyone,

We will soon be in Kauai, and I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best overall plan of attack. It looks as though the dive boats here are much smaller than southern california, and typically don't take you too far off shore.

I guess I am asking if it is possible and/or a good idea to stick strictly to shore diving (we do want to be semi-frugal). Or would we be missing out on a lot?

Also, we have a good sized group with certified divers, interested-in-diving-folks, and people that just want to snorkel. Does anyone have recommendations for east side of the island beaches that can support all three?

Thank you!!

You may want to peruse this thread: .scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/295506-kauai-diving.html

There's a few companies/DM's mentioned in there. It'd be a good starting point.

We were in Kauai last year and did both boat and shore diving. I believe that you could stick mostly to shore diving and still be satisfied. There are tons of sights. A lot depends on the time of year that you go. It is calmer in the summer months. That means that more sites will be open for more days. Don't be mislead into thinking that you have to hire a guide/divemaster. You might miss a critter or two, but its much cheaper.

I would suggest renting tanks and weights from seasports divers. They have two locations so you can get their rental tanks filled at either.

Koloha Landing (?) is an easy shore dive. If you go during the summer, you should also try Tunnels on the north side. However at Tunnels, be prepared for very limited parking and to have to drag your equipment a long distance. You can also dive K'ee (?) Beach on the north side through the rock area.

Take a look at Welcome to ShoreDiving.com!

When is "soon"? I am going to be in Kauai from Sept 8-21st and would love to have someone to shore dive with.

When is "soon"? I am going to be in Kauai from Sept 8-21st and would love to have someone to shore dive with.

Ah we will have already come back. Going to be in Kauai from 26-2. Good luck and happy diving!

Thank you everyone for the comments. Probably going to book a couple 2-tank boat dives, and spend some other days on the shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom