Kayak Castaway Warning!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive4LifeSW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Did my first kayak dive this past weekend.... was amazing... but two words of warning:

1.) If you have been shore diving for 2 years, learn to hang on to the rope connecting your kayak to you... otherwise when you find a big meg, get excite, forget you are kayak (not shore diving), you will have a long swim back to your kayak! But was a great tooth! :)

2.) Having a kayak you can bring up bigger bones (mammoth and all). Had one bone that had a hole in it: Checked it for crabs, life, ect..... at end of dive started to get on my kayak and found an octopus sitting on top of it. When you have 2 arms and it has 8, it will win... took me 20 minutes to get that thing off my boat!!!! Was enjoying the warm weather/sun?
Be warned of Kayak Castaways!

To those fossil finders who have not tried a kayak while searching, it is really hit or miss on sites/// but if you find them you will be happy!

Good hunting to all!

Thanks Dive4LifeSW, that was an enjoyable read! I would have loved to watch you battle that octopus!:)

Any tips on where to put in for out of towners with kayaks (like myself)? :D

For kayak diving along Venice beaches, you're limited to the Venice public beach, Alhambra beach, the county park north of Sharkeys pier or South Brohard park. Service club park does not have kayak access, unless you're gonna carry your yak and Casperson beach has a lot of large rocks to negotiate over and around to launch @ the beach.

Last edited:
I was thinking of trying this too, do you anchor yak if so how, then take flag with you. Only been on rivers and calm bays on yak.

nevermind kinda stupid not you take yak with you and leave flag on boat

Last edited:
actually I was worried about having the kayak attached to me, but it really wasn't that different from towing a dive flag. I went to the store and bought a 50 ft line (floatable), bright orange to tie to the kayak and take with me. It worked out really well.

One thing, later in the day the current picked up. If you are going for a particular spot you might find by end of dive you drifted without knowing it. So you have to compensate for some current more than usual (my view).

Also, make sure your kayak has straps for items and they are secure. While I didn't tip, I could see how it would be easy.

I found some nice articles online (like from Scuba Life/Magazine) that gave some good tips. I would recommend reading a few prior to trying.

Good luck, have fun, be safe!

....at end of dive started to get on my kayak and found an octopus sitting on top of it. When you have 2 arms and it has 8, it will win... took me 20 minutes to get that thing off my boat!!!! Was enjoying the warm weather/sun?
Be warned of Kayak Castaways!

:dropmouth:

Oh you gotta explain that one!!
An octopus had taken up residence on your kayak? How big? Was it in your seat?

:worthless:

Here's a pic of one those bad boys I found out there.

Attachments

• octopus.JPG
    octopus.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 152
To funny. Kayak diving is definitly fun. The only bad thing about it is you got more stuff to lug.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom