Kayak fishfinder/GPS question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tlawler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I bought a Humminbird 161 to use on my prowler 13. It's an entry level combo fishfinder/gps unit. I got the idea from Jim Spears site here. Jim uses a hull mounted transducer held on by bungee cords and nestled in a foam block. I want something more hydrodynamic and have considered mounting it inside the hull. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and what the results were and any mounting ideas/how you've routed the cables, etc.

Subscribed!

I personally went the really simple route and use a hand held Hawkeye depth sounder. Curious to see what others are using. You can easily glue a transponder to the inside of the kayak.

I am not sure if you can mount one inside the poly hull. The shoot through types seen on glass boats are usually bedded in with epoxy aren't they. I may be wrong. I do know you can put water in the hull and shoot through the poly that way. If pure silicone GE adhesive will transmit the impulses that might bond it to the poly hull. N

I am not sure if you can mount one inside the poly hull. The shoot through types seen on glass boats are usually bedded in with epoxy aren't they. I may be wrong. I do know you can put water in the hull and shoot through the poly that way. If pure silicone GE adhesive will transmit the impulses that might bond it to the poly hull. N

The directions specifically state not to use silicone adhesive. It says to use a slow curing two part epoxy like you stated. But are you saying that you don't think the epoxy would adhere to poly like it would to fiberglass?

To see if it would shoot through poly, I'm going to place it where I think it will work and weight it down with a couple of soft lead weight bags or wedge something to hold it in place. The directions say to try that in different areas until you get a signal closest to the unimpeded signal obtained by holding the transducer in the water.

The only disadvantage I can see so far is with it permanently mounted in the hull, is that you will have to disconnect the transducer wire and pull it down into the hull. I don't think you can splice or add a quick disconnect to it.

I'm hoping someone has been down this road before and I can follow their lead:D

The directions specifically state not to use silicone adhesive. It says to use a slow curing two part epoxy like you stated. But are you saying that you don't think the epoxy would adhere to poly like it would to fiberglass?

To see if it would shoot through poly, I'm going to place it where I think it will work and weight it down with a couple of soft lead weight bags or wedge something to hold it in place. The directions say to try that in different areas until you get a signal closest to the unimpeded signal obtained by holding the transducer in the water.

The only disadvantage I can see so far is with it permanently mounted in the hull, is that you will have to disconnect the transducer wire and pull it down into the hull. I don't think you can splice or add a quick disconnect to it.

I'm hoping someone has been down this road before and I can follow their lead:D

A little web research goes a long way. I have found the answer to my problem here. Luckily I haven't opened the transducer puck that came with it, so I should be able to take advantage of Humminbird's exchange program. I will keep everyone posted, if interested.

A little web research goes a long way. I have found the answer to my problem here. Luckily I haven't opened the transducer puck that came with it, so I should be able to take advantage of Humminbird's exchange program. I will keep everyone posted, if interested.

To exchange the transom mount trans for the through the hull is only $24 plus shipping to Humminbird. $24 includes shipping back to you. Turn around time is approx. 7 to 9 working days. I'll lose the temperature feature, but no big deal for diving.

The through hull type will require drilling a hole though the hull--if your OK with that then that is a option. It might be prone to damage sticking below the hull. Yes, I agree the silicone will not likely transmit a signal. The reaon the epoxy might not work is that poly is very diffucult to bond due to it's slickness and flexibility and instability with temperature. You might be able to get the transducer to bond if you rough up and area with 80 grit paper. Good luck.

N

The through hull type will require drilling a hole though the hull--if your OK with that then that is a option. It might be prone to damage sticking below the hull. Yes, I agree the silicone will not likely transmit a signal. The reaon the epoxy might not work is that poly is very diffucult to bond due to it's slickness and flexibility and instability with temperature. You might be able to get the transducer to bond if you rough up and area with 80 grit paper. Good luck.

N

It goes right through one of the scupper holes. No drilling required.

OK, cool, looks good. Nice idea there. The scupper holes on mine seem deeper than yours but that may work for me as well. Thanks. N

I got the exchanged transducer back yesterday then went out and bought the Ram mount today at the local Bass Pro Shops. I still need to get everything mounted and do something about the power supply, but I hope to be able to use it this weekend on an outing. Here are a couple of pics of the transducer mounted in one of the forward scupper holes and of the head sitting on the Ram mount. It fits the scupper holes in the tank well also, but I think that would present a problem with carrying tanks back there. I'll find out how obtrusive it is and if it gets in the way of my leg when I take the yak out. Also I'm not sure if it will cause problems with the rudder pedals when I get around to installing the rudder kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom