Kayak preferences

What type kayak do you use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I'll start this off. My yak is a Pelican Tandem. It was choosen based more on price than anything. When I bought it I was still in college and on a tight budget. It paddels like a barge, but is stable enough to stand up in and makes a good scuba platform

Rut Roh! I posted my advantages & disadvantages in the "What Kayak?" thread :shakehead:

I have a Cobra/Fish Dive

Dana, you aren't charged per post, post anywhere ya like and as often as ya like

I started out with a Ocean Scrambler XT that I got a great deal on. I soon found out I wanted more carrying capacity, so I sold the Scrambler and bought a Ocean Prowler 13. The Prowler is longer, sleeker and faster as well as having a greater capacity. The tradeoff is that the Scrambler was more stable, but with all the weight I was piling on, it wallowed like a barge. I don't even notice the lesser stability of the Prowler now, I'm just so used to it. Other advantages of the Prowler are a bigger tank well, rudder option and a neat little cup holder that my compass nestles in nicely. I'm thinking about rigging it with a sail or a parasail like this so I can take real advantage of the rudder. I also recently bought a Humminbird combo FF/GPS that I plan on mounting like this. The problem is that I have a lot more ideas than I do time to actually put them to use.

I know, I just didn't feel like typing it all over again.:shakehead:

Anyway, Cobra Fish/Dive Kayak

Advantages:D

- very stable
-will carry up to 600 lbs.
-tons of inside storage as well as a rear tank well
- You can buy an adapter & attach an electric motor which is not real practical for diving but if ya want to use it for fishing, the option is there.

Disadvantages:shakehead:

-paddles like a barge, but I think any kayak suitable for diving is going to paddle like a barge.
-is bulky
-is heavy, 52 lbs.

I have an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 and a Wilderness Ride 135. Both kayaks are about the same length, but the Wilderness is made from thicker plastic, it's wider, and the hull is shaped like a tri-hull. It's heavier than the Prowler, but it's extremely stable. I haven't had the opportunity to take either kayak into the ocean yet, but I did take them both into King Lake to practice flipping them, getting my gear in and out of them, and getting in and out of them. Both were very easy.

The nice thing about the Prowler is I can carry it a lot easier. The additional width on the Wilderness makes it a bit more unwieldy to carry by myself.

Carry? You mean ya actually CARRY it? I have a cart with beach wheels. The only lifting I do is pick up one end to slide on the rack on top of my truck(lazy). I slide it off the rack, load all my gear into it and cart everything to the water in one haul.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler Edition. Love it!

I also love my Thule Hullavator. It is always a crowd pleaser to watch a petite middle-aged chick flip her big kayak onto the roof of her SUV!

I use an Ocean Kayak Malibu Two. It is a tandem kayak that can also be paddled solo. I use it for kayaking with my kids, the wife and for scuba and freediving. It is very stable and I find it to be a good all purpose kayak.

If you are looking for a kayak dedicated for scuba then I would not recommend the Malibu Two. There are better kayaks out there for scuba. There is no significant internal storage and the tanks (I carry two sometimes) raise the center of gravity and make the kayak a bit top heavy. It's manageable though.

On the other hand, I love this kayak for freediving. I can carry two freedivers and gear. We tow it with us while freediving. With two freedivers in the water it is much easier dealing with only one kayak, one anchor, etc. It paddles pretty quick with two paddlers. On occasions when I am freediving with someone with their own kayak I can paddle my Malibu Two solo and have tons of space for my stuff.

-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom