Kayaking around key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lone Frogman

Amphibious
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Is it practical to kayak from John Pennekamp State Park to some of the reefs? Looks like it about 4.5 miles to the Christ of the Abyss. Or perhaps kayaking from a differant location to some of the reefs. :confused: I'm just trying to get the most dives for my money. I plan on the deeper dives by charter in the monrnings and some shallow reefs in the afternoon by kayak.

36 views and no reply? Isn't someone going to say I'm crazy, my wife thinks I am. I guess I'm going to give it a try and report about it after. I can't be the only one who has thought about this. I'm sure the locals are doing this for spear fishing and bug hunting.

It is my opinion that kayak diving out to french reef, molassas reef or most of the other offshore reefs of Pennekamp is foolish at least, dangerous at best. That area is swept by a 5 knot gulf stream current that could quickly carry you too far to paddle back against, making you a rescue case. Not only would you be endangering yourself, but also inconvience rescuers if not putting them at risk. Probably the reason no one else replied, is no one thought you were serious.

Last edited:
People do kayak here but not to many will venture out the deep reefs, infact only the crazy ones I think. You can hit some small reefs inshore about a mile out but they are only 20' and are patches but think of it this was not one else ever hits them so they are alive and well. So I would say yes you can dive from your kak but only in shore reefs 20' less but I wouldn't bring the gear I would freedive them.

36 views and no reply? Isn't someone going to say I'm crazy, my wife thinks I am. I guess I'm going to give it a try and report about it after. I can't be the only one who has thought about this. I'm sure the locals are doing this for spear fishing and bug hunting.

From post #3 & 4, looks like your wife is correct........

Maybe not crazy, just not experienced in Keys Diving. The Gulf Stream current is farther out than nearly all the reefs at Pennekamp. There is a current in Pennekamp, but typically not bad at all. And if you were in the Gulf Stream, the current would be between 1.5 and 4 knots, typically around 3 knots. Never 5 knots, rarely 4 knots. The advice about checking out the patch reefs a little more than a mile out is right on. Problem is there is a lot of boat traffic. There is active kayak diving off Ft. Lauderdale, where there are 3 reef lines inside of a mile off shore. Again, lots of boats. Might be better for you. Getting back to Pennekamp, going out to the main reef complex is too friggin' far for a kayak. You have no quick way to get back in if a thunderstorm comes in, which is a daily thing in summer, and it can get rough really quick. I have seen it go from 1 foot seas to 3-5 foot seas in about 30 minutes. Not making that up. So could you do it? Yes. But it would be very risky and if you got back, you would be saying to yourself, "What was I thinking? I was a real dumbass for doing that." There is a gorgeous patch reef close in near Big Pine Key. It is not a far paddle off shore, just a far paddle to get there, because there is no place to park your car close by. Probably a mile and half paddle, but close to shore. Just east of Little Palm Island resort. Or you could pay $900/night to stay at the resort and just be 100 yards away from the reef. ancientdiver@verizon.net

Maybe not crazy, just not experienced in Keys Diving. The Gulf Stream current is farther out than nearly all the reefs at Pennekamp. There is a current in Pennekamp, but typically not bad at all. And if you were in the Gulf Stream, the current would be between 1.5 and 4 knots, typically around 3 knots. Never 5 knots, rarely 4 knots. The advice about checking out the patch reefs a little more than a mile out is right on. Problem is there is a lot of boat traffic. There is active kayak diving off Ft. Lauderdale, where there are 3 reef lines inside of a mile off shore. Again, lots of boats. Might be better for you. Getting back to Pennekamp, going out to the main reef complex is too friggin' far for a kayak. You have no quick way to get back in if a thunderstorm comes in, which is a daily thing in summer, and it can get rough really quick. I have seen it go from 1 foot seas to 3-5 foot seas in about 30 minutes. Not making that up. So could you do it? Yes. But it would be very risky and if you got back, you would be saying to yourself, "What was I thinking? I was a real dumbass for doing that." There is a gorgeous patch reef close in near Big Pine Key. It is not a far paddle off shore, just a far paddle to get there, because there is no place to park your car close by. Probably a mile and half paddle, but close to shore. Just east of Little Palm Island resort. Or you could pay $900/night to stay at the resort and just be 100 yards away from the reef. ancientdiver@verizon.net

scary_water.JPG

This day was flat calm and then this storm blew in

Dave,
The please know that you have to be at least three miles off shore in the upper keys and not anywhere within Pennecamp Park boundaries when you spearfish. I am pretty sure these limits are still in effect. The authorities will take everything you have including your kayak if you are discovered spearing within those zones or if you have speared in the legal zones but stop to even snorkel within the park boundaries and have a catch on your boat. I dove within the legal areas for years by going out from Harry Harris Park on Key Largo BUT you have to be in the correct area. I stress this only for your success. If you have a GPS it is the most definitive way to really know where you are regarding park boundaries.
And if you do find the legal areas there are some great hogfish to be had for dinner. I would talk to the local marine law enforcement types, probably there are some who are also spearos. Give us a report when you return. And have fun.

Is it practical to kayak from John Pennekamp State Park to some of the reefs? Looks like it about 4.5 miles to the Christ of the Abyss. Or perhaps kayaking from a differant location to some of the reefs. :confused: I'm just trying to get the most dives for my money. I plan on the deeper dives by charter in the monrnings and some shallow reefs in the afternoon by kayak.

Practical is the key word here, its a long arse paddel from PennyCamp itself out either North or South Creek, and then another long paddle out to the reef site you mention.

A better choice would be to put the kayak in at Garden Cove, or points South Islamarada from the hi-way and paddle to patch reefs and snorkel.

But on the other hand on a nice day its a beautiful paddle ocean side out and across the reefs in the crystal clear water, wear your PFD.

I thanked you for asking the question as I plan to go to this area in April and would like to do some diving. I, just like you, don't know the local conditions so I thought I would ask the locals. In my case I may some kayak diving close in as my daughter(11) is newly certified and do a couple days of very shallow dives would be good experience for her. On the other hand my son wants to dive but also wants to kayak, so this would work for both of us. Now to figure out where to rent kayaks that will work for diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom