Keep eye on NHC, possible storms about a week out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cozcharlie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Cozumel really needed more stuff to worry about Top graph is obviously from National Hurricane Center. Bottom charts are from GFS model courtesy of Tropical tidbits. GFS shows both systems coming over/very near Cozumel—first Sunday and second late next Tuesday

PLEASE NOTE THIS DOESN’T MEAN THERE IS A HIGH LIKELIHOOD A HURRICANE WILL ACTUALLY HIT. I certainly wouldn’t cancel a trip just yet. Just flagging as something to watch. This is just one model (Probably not even the best model, just one of the most widely available ) and it normally changes quite a bit when they run it every 12 hours, but unfortunately it tracks both storms right into Cozumel as of last model run. This far out in time tracks can be off by several hundred miles (maybe even 1,000). The intensity forecast is probably even harder to gauge that far out (could dissipate and be nothing or strengthen and be a real pain).

All this means is that I will be checking internet even more than I already do this week

upload_2020-8-17_7-33-13.png

Looks like the closer storm would pass by Sunday on GFS model. It just shows pressure at 1005mb-that’s not very low (think wave/depression/weak tropical storm )
upload_2020-8-17_7-36-50.png

The second storm could be a real problem. 967 millibars (Somewhere around Cat 2/3 Hurricane )
upload_2020-8-17_7-34-53.png

Pressure and windspeed conversion (NHC)
[https://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/CI-chart.html]

t
ropical tidbits (has weather model runs ) Change the region to the western Atlantic when you look at models

[Tropical Tidbits]

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-17_7-32-3.png
    upload_2020-8-17_7-32-3.png
    489 KB · Views: 53
I'm not sure what model windy.com uses, but it has the first storm going over Cuba and strengthening in the gulf near PCB. The second one seems to peter out by Tuesday. Let's hope...

Cozumel really needed more stuff to worry about Top graph is obviously from National Hurricane Center. Bottom charts are from GFS model courtesy of Tropical tidbits. GFS shows both systems coming over/very near Cozumel—first Sunday and second late next Tuesday

PLEASE NOTE THIS DOESN’T MEAN THERE IS A HIGH LIKELIHOOD A HURRICANE WILL ACTUALLY HIT. I certainly wouldn’t cancel a trip just yet. Just flagging as something to watch. This is just one model (Probably not even the best model, just one of the most widely available ) and it normally changes quite a bit when they run it every 12 hours, but unfortunately it tracks both storms right into Cozumel as of last model run. This far out in time tracks can be off by several hundred miles (maybe even 1,000). The intensity forecast is probably even harder to gauge that far out (could dissipate and be nothing or strengthen and be a real pain).

All this means is that I will be checking internet even more than I already do this week

View attachment 605366

Looks like the closer storm would pass by Sunday on GFS model. It just shows pressure at 1005mb-that’s not very low (think wave/depression/weak tropical storm )
View attachment 605370

The second storm could be a real problem. 967 millibars (Somewhere around Cat 2/3 Hurricane )
View attachment 605368

Pressure and windspeed conversion (NHC)
[https://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/CI-chart.html]

t
ropical tidbits (has weather model runs ) Change the region to the western Atlantic when you look at models

[Tropical Tidbits]

https://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/CI-chart.html
Neither of those depressions is given more than a 20% chance of developing into a tropical storm. Much too early to get excited.

Neither of those depressions is given more than a 20% chance of developing into a tropical storm. Much too early to get excited.

Not sure if you are looking at model actually discriminates between storm and depression (would be interested to see link for future reference) or are just looking at the two day NHC outlook. 2 day outlook was 20 percent formation on first storm and 20 percent on second, but it is now 20 and 30. More importantly the five day outlook is 50 percent on first disturbance turning into something and 70 percent on the second one (The second track which was orange this morning is now red on the forecast map below ). Hopefully it keeps turning to the right (that track has it fairly far north for a Cozumel bound storm , but it looked like GFS was keeping from turning further north

upload_2020-8-17_13-1-39.png

Yep, things have changed. Still too early. Look at the spread in the spaghetti tracks. The ensemble is low reliability.

YAY! I just booked my flight into CUN for 8/27 for 9 days! I normally avoid the area like the plague during hurricane season, but I couldn't resist the low prices, plus I've only taken 2 vacation days so far this year to go camping. I looked at the NHC before I booked, but I can't live in fear.

Is there a Norte going on right now?

Is there a Norte going on right now?
There was a breeze, around 6 mph out of the north, but now showing out of the south.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom