Keeping your buddy close

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pkaquatics

Registered
Reaction score
Any suggestions on the best way to keep your buddy in contact with you during a dive aside from holding on to you directly? Having contact especially during navigating from one site to another with limited site references it is comforting knowing your buddy is right there. Is it wrong to use some form of a "line", or a "teathered" line of some sort? Any suggestions?

When my wife and I dive in low vis, which is most of the time.... 3-6ft, we just stay really close to each other, sometimes holding hands. When the vis is really bad, I have a 10' line with bolt snaps on each end that we tether together with.

Is it wrong to use some form of a "line", or a "teathered" line of some sort?

:no

what about eye contact every now & then?

I think especially in low to no viz, I also am wondering if there is anything wrong with using a buddy line or tether? In clear viz, I also wonder if it could allow both divers to look at the scenery, instead of turning every two seconds to look where your buddy is....right behiind you, above you, stopped to look at something...I'm just wondering if anyone has any safety reasons why this would be a bad idea, other than entanglement hazards?

I'm just wondering if anyone has any safety reasons why this would be a bad idea, other than entanglement hazards?

That would be our main concern when we do it. But we both carry good dive knives, and disentaglement was one of our favorite drills in rescue class.... So far we have only used a tether a couple times, and we still stay within touching distance anyway. The primary reason to use the tether, for us anyway, is because of the currents that we sometimes dive in. Otherwise we typically would just hold hands to stay together in low/no vis.

Especially in low viz being tethered is a good option. Make sure the tether is not too long where then becomes a liability to your safety. Entanglement is a concern. Be it you/your buddy's of the tether being entangle on an object. My buddy and I were in 3 ft viz and lost each other upon descent. We surfaced and tethered for the rest of the dive using a 6 ft bungee. We had good compass navigation that day.

I think especially in low to no viz, I also am wondering if there is anything wrong with using a buddy line or tether? In clear viz, I also wonder if it could allow both divers to look at the scenery, instead of turning every two seconds to look where your buddy is....right behiind you, above you, stopped to look at something...I'm just wondering if anyone has any safety reasons why this would be a bad idea, other than entanglement hazards?

Buddy line will call for a cutting tool of immediate availability ... I suppose you guessed that already.
I don't think anybody will feel comfortable being lined to something/someone .. I believe it to be quite annoying: e.g. your buddy stopped suddenly to grab a pic jerking you :shakehead:

Your buddy is your responsibility; as much as you are his. You'll not miss much throwing him a look every ... well, not as low as 2 sec, but if you feel that you're getting relatively away from each other.:blinking:

Sounds like you've received some pretty sound feedback here already. I was wondering if you dive with the same buddy most or all of the time. If this is the case, you two will become more in tune with each others dive habits,styles,etc. and could,after accumulating some tethered dives lose the line and still stay in contact even in low vis. Do you and your buddy have similar air consumption rates and buoyancy control? If you do not,these things could make being tethered together difficult.Good luck& good diving!

Actually, low viz would be the only reason why one should consider a tether. A regular dive buddy is invaluable. The two of you would get to know each others preferences and diving abilities and would most likely have the same diving agenda. Even with a regular diving buddy you should always make regular eye contact (an OK check) in addition to those you can glance at your buddy as often as you like. Dive buddies should always be communicating.:) Which is an important key to a safe and productive dive. So, if your buddy wants to stop for a photo opt he should get you attention and let you know of his intentions and like wise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom