Kefir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trucker girl

Cupcake, Queen of Dorks
Reaction score
Off the road for good in April '08 and at home in
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm in Florida this week with a town house full of in-laws and it's all about the Kefir, which I've never even heard of before.

It's not just that they eat it (or drink it, or whatever you do with it). It's that they talk about it. They discuss it. They praise it. They embrace it and it's an intimate part of their daily lives.

My SIL is a dietitian, so some of that is understandable. But her husband talks about it. Her kids talk about it. It's like the wonder food and I'm a little weirded out by their enthusiasm.

I was joking around with my 5-year-old nephew and I told him he was smarter than I am. He responded without a pause, "that's because I drink Kefir."

So, I've converted. I've had Kefir with fruit and/or cereal two days in a row.

Do I need help?

I've seen it at the store but have not tried it. How does it taste?
If its the same over there as here, it basically looks like milk thats so stale its starting to thicken and cluster and basically imo taste just about the same. YUCK.

I get it occasionally. If you've tried the yogurt smoothies, it tastes pretty much the same to me.

I love kefir!!!!

It's a standard thing in this part of Europe. Typical for Eastern Europe. It's milk, it's not yoghurt.

Simply speaking kefir is a curd.

It's healthy and tastes great.

Mania

I'll try anything once, so I bought some plain kefir (not flavored) today at the store (on sale - who knew?!) It is more liquid than yogurt, and a bit more tart, but I think I like it. I think it will be good with fruit.

The plain is a lot harder to handle on it's own than the flavored ones- I can drink a glass of strawberry Kefir but not plain. I put the plain over fruit...

Tigerman- don't think of it as milk that has spoiled and begun to curd. Think of it as curd that has melted... lol. The flavored ones seem to be more liquid (consistency) than the plain- and not so tart (the fruit flavor seems to dull the tartness).

This is just so sick that I'm discussing Kefir on SB. I tried pomegranate flavor today- that's actually pretty good!

Back
Top Bottom