Kelly lake / Pavillion day trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure. It's a Saturday, so we could combine in some afternoon dives into the day.

Pavillion: USUALLY ice-up at that elevation around here is mid-November and it melts, yes, late March to April. Having said that, this was an unusually mild October, and I just can't see that whole lake dropping to near-freezing temps in two weeks, from 41 degrees! So you may have more than two weeks left. The bay where you put in, at the the little island, it pretty shallow and has rocks sticking out of it and trees shading it, so I'm sure that will freeze first, when the rest of the lake is still doable. If that's the case, you may want to try the first pull-out coming from Cache Creek, the southern-most one, that should be better, I think, being all unobstructed shoreline. That pull-out has a 2' high stump at the end of it, watch for that stump. Access is real easy there.

If you want to come soon, you can make a weekend of it, and go to the Pumpkin dive on Saturday first. The Vernon divestore is organizng it, Innerspace Watersports|Scuba Gear|Kayak|Snorkeling|Rentals|Diving Training|Vernon & Kelowna BC. It happens at Ellison Park, Western Canada's first freshwater dive park, which has several sunk boats etc, sounds like a mini-Porteau. Haven't been there myself but will go on Saturday.

Pavillion: USUALLY ice-up at that elevation around here is mid-November and it melts, yes, late March to April. Having said that, this was an unusually mild October, and I just can't see that whole lake dropping to near-freezing temps in two weeks, from 41 degrees! So you may have more than two weeks left. The bay where you put in, at the the little island, it pretty shallow and has rocks sticking out of it and trees shading it, so I'm sure that will freeze first, when the rest of the lake is still doable. If that's the case, you may want to try the first pull-out coming from Cache Creek, the southern-most one, that should be better, I think, being all unobstructed shoreline. That pull-out has a 2' high stump at the end of it, watch for that stump. Access is real easy there.

If you want to come soon, you can make a weekend of it, and go to the Pumpkin dive on Saturday first. The Vernon divestore is organizng it, Innerspace Watersports|Scuba Gear|Kayak|Snorkeling|Rentals|Diving Training|Vernon & Kelowna BC. It happens at Ellison Park, Western Canada's first freshwater dive park, which has several sunk boats etc, sounds like a mini-Porteau. Haven't been there myself but will go on Saturday.

I would love to come up and do a different pumpkin carving dive + diving Pavilion Lake this weekend, but the distance is far too long to do it in a short weekend. Sam, my husband, cannot take any more vacation time and his next long weekend will be at Thanksgiving, November 25th. By then who knows what the weather is going to be like. We can just play it by ear...or I can leave him at home!:wink:

Have fun at Ellison Park and good luck with your carving!:)

Thanks, but I won't be carving. From the first moment I heard 'Pumpkin dive', my intuition has been SCREAMING at me, supplying a photostream of knifes slipping off hard, round, wet surfaces and plunging into hoses, hearts, and, worst of all, new drysuits! And intuition is like everything else, use it or lose it! You got to honor it if is clamoring so loudly, or it will be offended and not come back :). So I'll just watch the pumpkin wrestler,s and then go for a nice dive among the boats and stuff, hopefully. Gimme a shout if you decide to come to the Interior! Pavillion is about 100 km from me, but at the same elevation and in the same weather zone, so I can probably extrapolate how the ice situation is from here.

Gimme a shout if you decide to come to the Interior! Pavillion is about 100 km from me, but at the same elevation and in the same weather zone, so I can probably extrapolate how the ice situation is from here.

Thanks! I will!:D

At last my husband and I are able to go to Pavilion Lake this weekend. Maybe somebody told me earlier, I don't remember anymore so could you remind me where is the nearest place to get tanks re-filled? Is there somebody who plans to be there Sunday and/or Monday September 4/5?

cheers :)

It was a great trip!:)

The Microbialites look pretty prehistoric! We did two dives at Pavilion Lake. The water temperature at 79 ft was 46° F, not too bad (it turned out the it helped me to heal my bug bites faster!). The visibility was better than in the ocean, still the water had a lot of suspended particles. The lake was busy with motorboats (I thought that no motors were allowed...:confused:) so we used a dive flag. After that we drove to North Vancouver to re-fill our tanks and did one dive at Porteau Cove and Whytecliff before heading back home.

Do you think that fresh water Microbialites are somewhat 'special'? If yes why?

cheers

Oh the boats are allowed, just not the divers (except in the designated areas). The idea being that unrestricted access could cause damage to the structures throughout the whole lake.

The microbiolites (bacterial colonies continually being coated by calcium deposits) are of interest for several reasons that I know of. First, they only appear in several regions worldwide. Second, they are thought to be similar to life forms that may be found on Mars. Thirdly, NASA and CSA use the study of them "in situe" to train in the use of ROV's and small manned vehicles - which they will use when first exploring Mars. Apparently this year they have also begun research in Kelly lake as well.

and yeah, only 46 degrees... I thought it was going to be cold too

Too bad I didn't read this post sooner. My buddy and I did Pavilion on Sept 3rd. I would have been nice to meet up.

At last my husband and I are able to go to Pavilion Lake this weekend. Maybe somebody told me earlier, I don't remember anymore so could you remind me where is the nearest place to get tanks re-filled? Is there somebody who plans to be there Sunday and/or Monday September 4/5?

cheers :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom