Kelly's on the Bay - Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taz22

Contributor
Reaction score
My LDS in Ontario has booked our group for a trip in March to Kelly's in Key Largo. I was wondering if any of my fellow board members have dove with this organization and could let me know what to expect?

Thanks, Taz.

I've stayed at/dove with Kellys twice, and had a great time both trips. They have nice large boats, friendly staff, will take requests for dive sites, etc. Captain Jorge & DM Alex were two of my favorite people there.

On our last trip there, they were unable to get us to a 2nd Spiegel Grove dive, and found us another nearby shop which took us since they couldn't. Nice service.

My only suggestion is this: watch which rooms you get. Make sure to ask for the larger rooms in the more northern part of the resort. The place used to be 2 resorts and was combined into Kelly's. Some of the southernmost rooms can be TINY. Our first trip we had a big beautiful room which faced the pool. Our second trip we had a itty-bitty thing which we could barely walk in. (They were nice enough to switch our room to a larger one at our request, but I hardly got any sleep in that tiny room the 1st night).

PS - if you like Thai, there's a great place about 10 minutes south of Kellys - awesome food!

I wish I had my dive log with me - there's a couple really cool sites they dive - if you'd like to me get the names for you PM me!
- Carla

FWIW, my comments are based upon two years ago. Hopefully, staff have changed and Aquanuts improved their operation based upon the mandated safety improvements due to the settlement when they left two divers in the water on a night dive.

Hobo's is fantastic. The rooms at Kelly's were clean and serviceable. Good for divers but don't expect posh surroundings.
Some were small but we don't spend much time in the room anyway. The continental breakfast is sufficient to get you to your first dive and back. Fair value for the money.

The two dive boats are 42 ft Newtons with twin diesel's. Well maintained and roomy. Really sweet ride.

My problems were with the crews. Of the seven dives we did with them, we were taken to the Benwood three times. The crew was not open to any different location requests. They wanted the trips over as quickly as possible.
During a night dive, they tried to coerce my buddy and I into accepting a diver as a buddy who had never been on a night dive and who had just completed his OW certification dives that day. I was upset with their attempt to get us to accept such a responsibility. The young man had rented a primary light and didn't have a secondary. We loaned him a secondary. Nice young man who really wanted to dive. You quessed it, we took him along. Sure enough, his primary failed. My buddy and I had kept him between us and he maintained his cool. After the dive, he understood the problems that can occur.
The next day at North North Rocks, the crew pushed for a ten minute surface interval. They didn't have any patience with new divers struggling with their exit and board protocol. I felt sorry for the divers getting snapped at but thier instructor got things settled down.
All in all, an unpleasant experience. Just my $.02 worth.
If you have a trip leader, they should be able to circumvent these problems. The Key's are great and you will have a great time.
DSAO,
Larry

daylight once bubbled...
The next day at North North Rocks, the crew pushed for a ten minute surface interval. They didn't have any patience with new divers struggling with their exit and board protocol.

nothing to do with the op in question, but had to laugh at the 10 minute surface interval. Dove with 2 different ops in October. One was great, the other not so... Dove the speigel grove with the good op... was telling the not so good one about our 2 dives on the SG, and they actually asked me "how is it possible to do 2 dives over a 100ft???" Well.... the good op allowed a 1 1/2 hr si. The not so good one was into the 10 min. SI (even on a 3 trip dive: 110ft, 65 ft, and 35ft.) Gotta rush, rush, rush.... get that money :)

Needless to say, I booked the next trip with the good op.

Needless to say, I won't be using them again. This short SI mania seems to be most prevalent in the Keys. I haven't run into it at other locations.
Maybe we need to mutiney more often when an OP tries it.

Larry

Daylight - The dirt you hear... I never heard about the 2 divers left in the water... yikes... Believe me, my experiences were nothing like that!

I guess we've had some short SI's while diving with Kelly's - but personally it didn't bother me (and I didn't see anybody overly rushed...)

When I can, I do 4+ dives daily. So a short SI (as long as it doesn't interfere with my bottom time!) is OK by me - gives me more time for lunch, ya know?

Say Raxafarian - could you give me the names of the good and bad ops? Don't want to get any op "in trouble", and of course, everyone's experiences may vary, etc etc (disclaimer here) yada yada...

Probably the next time we go to the keys we'll go to a different area for variety.... I'd be interested in good /bad reviews...

the good op was www.diverscityusa.com

the "bad" op wasn't necessarily bad... probably just about average for the keys.

If you're into 20ft reef dives, pretty much any op will suffice (as long as they have req'd safety equip...coast guard cert., etc). If you're doing multiday dives.... 3 dives a day ... most of 'em in the 100ft range, I prefer more than the dive op that tends to cater to the once or twice a year rec. diver.

The other shop (I'll name 'em in a PM, if you want) is probably fine for most people. I had a good set of dives with them last year. I'm more picky than I was. I know more. I know more about what a charter should include. I realize what I want when diving heavy current. I should feel comfortable with the charter for the diving that I'm doing. The owners/boat captain at the good op above left me no doubt that they knew what they were doing. We had very heavy current at the Duane. No worries. If we would have gotten blown off the wreck/line, I knew they would see my bag and realize what was going on.

Wreckwriter has used them for tech trips, and that alone says they are good.

I would tell my best friend to use diverscity.... if they weren't available, I would still recommend the other shop (depending on the type of diving), so I don't feel that I should name them.

Hope this makes sense.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom