Kelowna Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amphibious

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
considering a move, wondering how active the Kelowna dive scene is? any tech types down there?

The diving potential and Upland game has me very interested in Kelowna :crafty:

Hey. I live about 2 hours away from kelowna. (Salmon Arm area). I don't do much diving at all up there because I don't know any divers, but yif you move and want to dive, I'd love to go play around in the lakes. Even in the fresh water there is still fun diving to be had! Where are you moving from??

Nalidixic

In Prince George now, river diving here is good (freediving) but there really arn't any deep clear lakes around to practice depth. my lease is up here in November, so starting to think about moving. depends on what my winter contracts look like (Lv. 3 Medic)

I have a couple hunting buddies in the Salmon Arm area - I might head down that way in august to hunt some Carp :D

I'm from Kelowna originally but I've never dove there. I intent to eventually. There is a shop there: Diving Dynamics, but I hear as far as gear selection & prices are concerned the shop in Vernon (don't know it's name) is the way to go. However, either way it's amazing that heading 4 hours east of the coast drives the price of everything in diving up considerably.
Sorry, just a little pet peeve of mine...
Anyhow, Diving Dynamics used to put on weekly fun dives (Wed. nights I think). THey likely still do.
As far as deep clear lakes are concerned... Okanagan Lake is definately deep, but far from clear!! Though I am sure you can find many that are both deep in clear in the area.
Keep in mind though, that Okanagan Lake is right on the verge of altitude diving (over 900 ft I belive) & that many area lakes will in fact be at altitude.

20ft of viz is still a step up from most places around here. Gear shopping is not a concern, I pick up my gear when I';m overseas or from industry reps when I'm Down at DEMA and I service all my own gear. :D Altitude diving? no worries :D

thanks for the heads up, good info!

I'm originally from Vernon, and would like to try the lakes when I'm back in town sometime. I live near the ocean now, so haven't really bothered. One day I'm sure I'll give it a shot.

Ya I live in kelowna, there is okanagan lake, many different dive spots, pauls tomb,ok center, rattlesnake island, milk truck, etc... its awesome, go to diving dynamics, get more info, they got indoor pool and eveything at their shop, in summer, its so freakin hot here, so ya it defintly is a fun place to dive and u may even get to see our famous lake monster, ogopogo haha, well good luck!!!

I know that there is a club called The Comando Team in Kelowna and Diving Dynamics also run a lot of training onsite.

In Vernon our club is called the Okanagan Dive Club and we have about 40+ members...

A fair bit of Diving happens in Okanagan Lake (In Vernon we go to Ellison Park which is a dive park in the interior) we also dive at the Fintry Barge (Summer Solstice dive\campout) and in Feb I was in Shuswap lake at the white smith, water was about 2.5 - 3C and snowing.....

On sunday we had a Easter/St Paddys dive and was great to get in the water (water temp was 39F or 4C and the air was 60F or 15C and visibility was about 40-50ft, which was the best I have ever seen)

we have meetings the first wednesday of the month either at the LDS or a "Dive" Meeting where we actually do a dive.... (Aprils meeting is at Ellison Park)

One last tidbit is we have a anual pumpkin dive at halloween time which last year we had over 70 divers in the water and about 150 people at the dance!!!!

anyways just thought Id pass on the info that Diving is going strong in the Interior....

cya
Ken
http://okdiveclub.proboards33.com/

Back
Top Bottom