Kelp should be vertical

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This dive definitely put me closer to the edge of my comfort zone than I liked -- which is why I thumbed it after about 15 minutes of blowing through my gas. It also is an example of how communication UW can be tricky -- I knew the anchor was in about 85 feet of water which is why I had no desire to try to go find it (would use up too much gas I thought).

I thought Lynne meant we lost the anchor line at 65 feet (which was where it got into the kelp and we, in fact, did lose it as did another team) and that she wanted to swim out and drift down at 65 feet to try to "catch" the anchor line. I didn't want to do that because I thought we were already downstream of it and thus drifting wouldn't be a good idea -- hence the thumb and direct ascent.

While I may be an "experienced diver" this dive was on the outskirts of my experience. We do a lot of dives in current (and I've done many dives in current) but always with a live boat, not one that is anchored. I was very pleased to see the boat send out the skiff to pick us up because it was a long way to swim! This just proves, again, that "experienced divers" who are diving in unusual (for them) circumstances, are also "un-experienced." However, having experience in other situations did help us make the right decisions in this one -- ONCE we had determined we were NOT supposed to be in the water this time.

[Speaking of swimming -- we were in some wind (20-25 knots) with chop and waves (as described) and honestly, I can't come up with a way that a snorkel would have been better than just laying on my back and going up/down with the waves.]

Oh, and yes, we had decided NOT to use the scoots because the prediction for the next dive made them "mandatory" and we wanted to save the batteries. Wrong Call!

It was also an interesting exercise in how one makes choices to deal with such occurrances.

When my dive buddy signaled me she wanted to ascend, I motioned that I wanted to drift along the bottom seeking the anchor ... thinking that we'd been kicking into the current for 20 minutes, and should drift back to it. She nixed that idea because of concerns about depth and because if we didn't find it our risk of coming up too far behind the boat to be seen were much greater. In hindsight, she made the more prudent call.

I wanted a quicker ascent, thinking that we hadn't hit NDL's and we didn't need a lot of time in in the 40-20 foot range. She wanted more minutes than I ... thinking that we'd been at depth a long time, and had been exerting ourselves pretty heavily. Her call prevailed.

When I realized we'd be spending more time than I'd anticipated on the ascent, I considered shooting a bag, and then decided not to. My rationale was that we were both facing "into the wind" and kicking in an attempt to slow down our progress downcurrent as we ascended. Shooting a bag at that point would add some drag that, given topside conditions, would probably pull us further downstream ... and considering the waves and swell, there was no guarantee the boat would even see it. So I waited until we surfaced to inflate it and wave it over my head.

Point being that in any given situation, there will always be choices ... and there will usually be equally rational reasons for more than one alternative. What really matters the most is having good communication between buddies, making a decision, and following through in a calm manner. Good communication keeps the buddy team cohesive, and gives you the best chance at a happy outcome ... pretty much regardless of which choices you make.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

2:05 in that movie is quite clearly *me* with my video cam :) Unless I am missing something

I thought that Cuda looked familiar ... I suspect you're missing the fellow behind you in the single tank and on Maciek's scooter (2:09 in the video) ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I doubt Jamie will like being called a "fellow" :) at least I think thats her -- let me check!

:doh: ... tough to tell in a drysuit ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This is an interesting thread. It is good food for thought for those who dive in current/kelp. For anyone heading to the Channel Islands-a good read.

This is an interesting thread. It is good food for thought for those who dive in current/kelp. For anyone heading to the Channel Islands-a good read.

And the videos are an added bonus! Thanks for posting them, very nice.

Back
Top Bottom