Kelp should be vertical

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We learned a similar lesson on last year's trip. We went down the wrong anchor (mix-up in the predive briefing I believe) and ended up following the chain in sand at about 90 fsw, against a current that you could just barely hold position against. We were wimpy enough to turn the dive on the chain and head back up (no reef in sight to tempt us), but at least we found a souvenir (of all things, the current blew the rubber cover from someone's backup light blew to us) for our troubles. At least one scooter team who went down the same line had to run at full throttle just to make it back to the boat.

Btw, I agree that San Miguel has some truly peerless diving. Judith Rock was phenomenal, even if you're just kicking (starts at 1:10 below):
[youtubehq]ZouV0SJ0wbY[/youtubehq]

You were down less time, and were a lot closer to the boat than we were. We'd spent 20 minutes clawing our way into the current prior to starting our ascent, and I decided that we'd have a better shot at coming up closer to the boat without the extra drag of surface current pulling us along.

It's easy to "monday morning quarterback" someone else's choices ... there are always multiple factors, and there is rarely a single "right" response. I'm completely comfortable with the choice we made ... under the circumstances, I think it was the logical choice for us to make.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Speaking from someone on the boat, seeing a 6 foot bag from any kick-teams coming up the anchor would have been a really good thing. It was hard enough with the 3-footers.

if we had had 5 or so teams with no bags it would have been pretty tricky to keep track.

I think diving anyplace that remote without a bag is not a good idea. Bigger bags would probably have been better, and that's a good thought for next year. We Puget Sound weenies just don't think about waves much.

Diving the Channel Islands when the kelp is horizontal has always been a challenge. One dive off Farnsworth Bank comes to mind. We were on a dive sponsored by SeaQuest, a boat filled with Dive store owners, many instructors, very experienced folks. The Capt. anchored close to the bank.

The next morning, I did an early morning, 7:00 AM solo dive. The current was ripping. I swam up current for a bit and then decided to return. I had plenty of gas left so dropped deep hoping to get out of the current and back to the anchor line.. I had a good compass azimuth on entry and did a 180 and started my way home. I was working hard even coming down current. Found the anchor line and surfaced. Time for a big breakfast.

One of the crew told me that I should have surfaced immediately and signaled for a pickup. The sooner the better was his mantra. I kinda agree with the dumpsterDiver on this one.

You were down less time, and were a lot closer to the boat than we were. We'd spent 20 minutes clawing our way into the current prior to starting our ascent, and I decided that we'd have a better shot at coming up closer to the boat without the extra drag of surface current pulling us along.

It's easy to "monday morning quarterback" someone else's choices ... there are always multiple factors, and there is rarely a single "right" response. I'm completely comfortable with the choice we made ... under the circumstances, I think it was the logical choice for us to make.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you ended up far behind the anchored boat in a strong current and were unable to get back without a “rescue vessel assist”, then, regardless of logic, the choice you made to swim against a current in the mid-water column and simultaneously try to control the ascent rate (while trying to maintain contact with a buddy) did not work very well.

If you are lost (i.e., can’t find the anchor to control you ascent) but still SURE that you are “out front” enough to ensure that you will safely pop up in front of the boat then the decision to delay deployment of a tethered smb from the bottom was a good one.

Otherwise logic would seem to dictate that, as a general rule, you should always send the SMB up early to ensure that the boat crew sees you and this allows you to do a leisurely, non-stressful and slow ascent.

It is critical that the boat knows you screwed up and got behind the boat at the earliest possible time; it is less important that you be on the surface ASAP.

Of course this assumes a competent crew. If the boat crew is chilling out and drinking beer, it MAY be very important to get up fast and start screaming before you get too far away for them to hear you.

I think diving anyplace that remote without a bag is not a good idea. Bigger bags would probably have been better, and that's a good thought for next year. We Puget Sound weenies just don't think about waves much.

We dive sometimes in conditions that are not good and the minimum practical smb is 6 feet, my buddy has a 9 footer I think. It also helps I think to tie a few 5 ft long pieces of yellow caution/crime scene tape to the top to make a few streams that will flutter in the breeze when it is windy.

If you ended up far behind the anchored boat in a strong current and were unable to get back without a “rescue vessel assist”, then, regardless of logic, the choice you made to swim against a current in the mid-water column and simultaneously try to control the ascent rate (while trying to maintain contact with a buddy) did not work very well.
How can you make that statement? You weren't there!

And you're wrong. We had no trouble either ascending mid-water or maintaining contact. In fact, our ascent was very controlled, and we surfaced right next to each other ... as we should.

If you are lost (i.e., can’t find the anchor to control you ascent) but still SURE that you are “out front” enough to ensure that you will safely pop up in front of the boat then the decision to delay deployment of a tethered smb from the bottom was a good one.

Otherwise logic would seem to dictate that, as a general rule, you should always send the SMB up early to ensure that the boat crew sees you and this allows you to do a leisurely, non-stressful and slow ascent.

It is critical that the boat knows you screwed up and got behind the boat at the earliest possible time; it is less important that you be on the surface ASAP.

Of course this assumes a competent crew. If the boat crew is chilling out and drinking beer, it MAY be very important to get up fast and start screaming before you get too far away for them to hear you.

We weren't behind the boat ... we were about 200 feet off to the starboard side, and a bit in front of the bow when we surfaced. Had I shot the bag, given the surface conditions, we'd have been 200 feet off to the starboard side and well behind the boat.

I was there, you were not ... I was in a better position than you to judge the best course of action to take.

I am comfortable with my decision.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last edited:
We dive sometimes in conditions that are not good and the minimum practical smb is 6 feet, my buddy has a 9 footer I think. It also helps I think to tie a few 5 ft long pieces of yellow caution/crime scene tape to the top to make a few streams that will flutter in the breeze when it is windy.

In 25-30 kts of wind, as we had that day, nothing you do will make a bag stand up ... particularly not a tall one. The wind just knocks it down ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The 3 footers were visible, but it was a little borderline honestly.
That was my thought as I was getting it out and setting it up -- "Why don't I have my 6 footer?!?"

This is just another one of those things where people may get a little complacent and/or the lack of (local) experience. No matter how much experience you have, if you haven't been diving in "those conditions" you are still a newbie.

Also, a live boat, like we have in Puget Sound, isn't the answer to those conditions but a chase boat is.

No matter how much experience you have, if you haven't been diving in "those conditions" you are still a newbie.

Isn't that, after all, the theme of this thread.

But one has to keep it in perspective. This wasn't a "near miss" ... it was a learning experience. Of the three teams that required pickup, there was no stress, no emergency, and no drama ... everyone, really, responded to the situation calmly, did what they had to do, and talked about it once safely back on board.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom