Kenya --> Zanzibar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys!

I got the oppurtunity to extend a trip to Kenya with a week to do some diving. I will have one week to go from mombasa to, pbb, zanzibar and then get back to mombasa for a flight home.

I was really surprised about the prices for the flight (all around 500$) to zanzibar. Is there a cheaper way? boat? particular airline? Is there any other location nearby with top notch diving? (already planning on making some dives south of mombasa)

If all flights are so expensive I might as well consider a live-a-board; any suggestions on that part?

thx a lot!

Oh btw; whats the average price of a dive in africa? around 25usd?

Last edited:
I don't know tha prices for diving in Kenya, but in Zanzibar and Pemba it's more like $50 per dive (if you only do one or two, it gets a bit cheaper if you do more dives).

Transport, especially flying, isn't cheap, either, but you should be able to get a flight from Mombasa to ZNZ for less than $500. Have you checked Fly504? (or something like that, I always forget the number...). For ground transport you could try and find out if the ferry between Tanga and Wete (Pemba) is running and if so on which day, and then take a bus to Tanga to catch it - but it will take the best part of two days if you are lucky, the ferry only runs once a week.

You sometimes hear or read of people who took a local dhow to ZNZ or Pemba, but it is unsafe and illegal, especially if it involves crossing the border.

thanks

sorry for my late reply

found out its very expensive indeed

Hey guys!

I got the oppurtunity to extend a trip to Kenya with a week to do some diving. I will have one week to go from mombasa to, pbb, zanzibar and then get back to mombasa for a flight home.

I was really surprised about the prices for the flight (all around 500$) to zanzibar. Is there a cheaper way? boat? particular airline? Is there any other location nearby with top notch diving? (already planning on making some dives south of mombasa)

If all flights are so expensive I might as well consider a live-a-board; any suggestions on that part?

thx a lot!

Oh btw; whats the average price of a dive in africa? around 25usd?
Malinde, near watamu is a good place to go diving, there's a hotel there called turtle bay which is reasonable decent dive centre attached to the hotel, its a 70 or so kilometer trip north from Mombasa

Comments for Malinde, Kenya, paradise in africa....

Back
Top Bottom