Key fob solution?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, all the new ghee-whiz vehicles made now have an electronic "open-sesame" fob that makes things go.... Not real keys.
All modern or old cars have physical keys; the fob carries it inside (unless it’s the extra FOB for some mfg. that’s not the main FOB, sometimes referred to as a Valet key - I have seen that personally only on a modern Volvo)

@OP what I’d personally do is take that „key“ out of the FOB, leave the FOB in the car, dive with the physical key only

I guess also (partial) vacuum won’t play well with water pressure; too big of a differential
Just a guess but not willing to try with something valuable; maybe I can try it on my next dive with tissues inside the “sealed” bag

I guess also (partial) vacuum won’t play well with water pressure; too big of a differential
Just a guess but not willing to try with something valuable; maybe I can try it on my next dive with tissues inside the “sealed” bag
Salt packet

Shocked that this hasn’t been copied yet, it’s been around since the ‘80s so the base patents must have expired. Super handy for diving but also for any other activities around the water.
Eventually it will be a password, an iris scan, finger print, voice print, face recognition, or dna swab … lol.

I guess divers are too small a segment to warrant the extra expense of waterproofing the FOBs to depth. That said some cars are introducing a credit card like keys and others a wrist bracelet but neither is depth rated (for now) either. Seeing the Apple Watch add a dive computer was a surprise, and may suggest the diving segment warrants more attention.

Meanwhile we’ll keep the DRYFOB going for a while yet…

As a DRYFOB proponent, I think it is far more likely that more and more "non pressure friendly" devices will become a part of our lives and that the need will continue. Remember when there was a craze for "geocashing"??? Anyway, the day that I no longer need my DRYFOB.... I think I'll just take a 3TB flash-drive with a bunch of data, put it into a DRYFOB.... and hide it on a reef or wreck to be found someday in the future.

Also...... and not meant to be a doomsdayer.or prepper.... but data is important. I have my gunsafe that is highly fire rated and flood rated but can still fail. Inside that gun-safe, I keep a DRYFOB with all of my backup data on thumb drives. In case of fire or flood, there is a high likelihood that my data will survive. It's like a safe within a safe. Just say'n

I just saw DryFob "advertised" on Dive Talk today. It seems legit. I bought one for me and one as a gift for my buddy. I don't think I would trust my car key to a home-job vacuum sealer...

I just saw DryFob "advertised" on Dive Talk today.
Very Cool! We actually exchanged some messages about putting a multi-gas/air monitor in the XL to test the air in cave air-pockets which I thought was an interesting idea.... But I guess we digress from the vacuum sealed car key topic of the thread ...

We shipped out your order this afternoon @Kinolee. You should get them Thu. Great color choices :) Hope you like 'em and thank you for your support :)

Yeah fobs are far too fancy for me they stay at home somewhere and the chipped key goes in the keyhole

So I grab an ebay duplicate, chip from the locksmith tie it to me budgie smugglers string, then I go splash

and the locksmith cuts the key too

dealer schmealer

We shipped out your order this afternoon @Kinolee. You should get them Thu. Great color choices :) Hope you like 'em and thank you for your support :)

Crazy that you can tell that just based on my post (and my location I guess?)! I'd be a bit creeped out if you weren't a diver. I've never met a diver that wasn't a cool person... But yeah, I like the colors! I was hoping for a turquoise to match the rest of my gear, but green is close enough! :wink: And those DryFobs y'all sent to Woody and Gus were definitely worth the investment. I wouldn't have known they existed otherwise!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom