Key Largo and keys dive charters?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been a couple of years since I dove Key Largo but did do it in Dec. I dove with Horizon Divers right next to the Ramada, convenient. Our dive shop ran a trip earlier this year and went out with Ocean Divers. They are right across the marina from Horizon. Check out their web sites.

We just got back last week from doing our O/W cert dives and dove with Silent World. Great operation, made us very comfortable being that it was our first time in the ocean in full scuba gear. We went with another couple and we all agree that we will dive with this shop whenever we go to Largo

I was in Key Largo earlier this week. I originally dove with Conch Republic Divers. They did a great job, and took very good care of me. The reason I chose them is the offer 100cf HP steel tanks and 40cf pony bottle. These are two things I really like to have on a deep dive. On the 2nd day they didn't have enough divers to run the boat (I was their only reservation), so they sent me over to Ocean Divers. I was very happy diving with them also. I would gladly dive with either shop again. If I had to choose, I would probably go with Conch Republic for the larger tanks. Ocean Divers uses LP80 steels which are ideal for reef dives, but a little small for my liking on the deep wrecks. Any shop that uses aluminum tanks would be lower down on my list.

We just got back last week from doing our O/W cert dives and dove with Silent World. Great operation, made us very comfortable being that it was our first time in the ocean in full scuba gear. We went with another couple and we all agree that we will dive with this shop whenever we go to Largo

Thanks very much! Glad you all had a good time and hope to see you again soon!

Brian, is that you????

We are going to Key largo Dec.4 to 8th. and need help with finding a good dive charter and any info needed.

Hey Sharkbitejeff,

Looks like you decided to come to the Keys over Cozumel. Well you'll have a great time. Just make sure you ask questions when calling the operators.

This time of year it can be slow and not all operators have enough divers to warrant a trip out. The dive operator will call other operators and find you a dive, so just be aware of that and ask the question how many divers they have on the boat for your planned trip.
Other questions you might consider are:
1. Gear storage - Do they have a secure place you can leave your gear
2. Does the boat have a working head
3. Where is the boat located in conjunction to the shop.
4. How much time before the dive do I have to check in.
5. Will you go out if you only have two divers
6. What size boats and how many people do they take on them.
7. What are your cancellation policies.
8. Do you work with any hotels to get me a discount (most do)
9. What size tanks do you have available

Most of the operators here in the Upper Keys (Key Largo/Tavernier/Islamorada) are good and you shouldn't have any problems, but asking the right questions can help you choose an operator that will ensure you have a great dive vacation.

For more information on weather conditions and what to bring, you can check out http://www.divecapital.org. It might help also.

Hope you have a great time here in the Upper Keys whoever you dive with.

Good Diving,

Last edited:
Hey Capt Gary, I had a great time on your boat last week. In your list you should add a question for what type of tanks are available. Like I said above, the availability of 100cf steel and sling tanks were a big factor for me. Many cold weather divers are used to diving with steel and ponies, especially on the deep wrecks. Having the ability to dive a configuration similar to what you dive at home can only add to your comfort in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom