Key Largo - Any recent experience with...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife once bubbled...

Tavi - Please post a report or PM me with the details when you get back. I'd like to hear about the dive op, the diving, the hotel and any fun spots (restaurant, night spots etc) you find as well. Have a great trip!

For Sure!!:)

My favorite dive op is Bluewater Divers in Key Largo. These guys are the best and cater to your individual needs and desires. I would highly recommend checking them out if you get the chance. You can check their website at www.bluewaterdiver.net.

Who ever you choose to dive with I hope you have a great time.

Reeflover

Bluewater divers is the best!!

Wouldn't even consider anyone else. These guys give you nothing but first class treatment.

Only been to the keys once, this February. Stayed at Kelly's/dove with Aquanuts through an Internet special. It was ok - basically a budget motel room, nice boats, friendly people. The diving was ok to great, the mates were ok but not special. The only thing that bothered me was, the afternoon boat trip was basically catering to snorkelers, so the "dive" was a reef at around 20fsw. Still saw some great stuff, just got tossed around by the surge a little.

talk to the bluewaterdiver guys, they are very good.

We usually go with the smaller boats, I dont like tons of people fighting for a spot and diesel fumes all over....

bye
ivan

Thanks everyone. Since so many of you have mentioned Blue Water Diver, I'm checking them out. Now I've just go to choose accommodations.

Where do you usually stay? Everything looks ok on a web site. We usually go to dive resorts where everything is onsite, so I don't want to be having to drive too far to dive. Nothing too budget and not a big 100+ room hotel either. Just clean, good sized room, well kept property and a bit of beach. Pool would be nice but not required.

Thanks again. All info has been helpful!

I believe they're much better than they used to be. They haven't abandoned any divers in the ocean in over three years now.

U.S. Department of Justice

United States Attorney

Southern District of Florida

99 N.E. 4 Street
Miami, FL 33132
(305) 961-9413

March 7, 2000

NEWS RELEASE

FLORIDA KEYS DIVE BOAT COMPANY PLEADS GUILTY TO NEGLIGENT OPERATIONS FOR ABANDONING TWO DIVERS FIVE MILES OFF KEY LARGO

Guy A. Lewis, United States Attorney for the Southern District of Florida, and Rear Admiral Thad Allen, Commander of the Seventh Coast Guard District, announced that Aqua-Nut Divers pled guilty and was sentenced for grossly negligent operation of the dive boat AQUA NUT DIVERS II that endangered human life.

On February 22, 2000, the dive boat AQUA NUT DIVERS II abandoned two recreational divers in the open ocean, five miles from shore, following a series of daytime dives. Michael and Linda Evans, experienced divers from California, rented some equipment from Aqua-Nuts and paid for transportation to a popular dive site off shore of Key Largo and near Elbow Reef. After surfacing from their first dive the Evans discovered that AQUA NUT DIVERS II abandoned them and moved on to a second dive site. The Evans managed to swim to Elbow Reef Light and climbed the steel tower, sustaining minor injuries. They waited for 26 hours before being noticed by a passing pleasure craft, and were rescued soon thereafter by a Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission officer.

In the meantime, AQUA NUT DIVERS II completed its second dive without noticing the missing couple and the vessel returned to Key Largo. Despite finding the Evans’ dive bags on board the vessel, and discovering that the equipment rented by the Evans was missing, Aqua-Nut Divers made no efforts to determine if the couple was left behind nor did they return to the dive sites.

Full text
http://64.58.76.136/search/cache?p=...scg.mil/d7/d7dl/AQUANUTS%20Press%20Release.do

Marc

Oh my GOD!!!!!
I never heard that one, and I was on their boat last May, talking to the mates about those two divers that were abandoned in Australia and never found!

I guess it makes sense that they would not talk about their own incident.
Sheesh! How does stuff like that happen? Were the DM and the captain both on vicodin or someting? :rolleyes:

that is one of the reasons I like the small boats better.... easier to notice something like this

bye
ivan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom