key largo dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanurse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Has anyone had experience diving with Sea Dwellers dive shop in Key Largo. They have excellent prices on hotel and diving packages. Is this because they are a volume cattle boat operation or are they just very good. We are hoping to make it to Florida in August. It will be our first Keys trip. Would appreciate input.

Most of the shops in the Keys do have larger boats and can become "cattle boats" if they fill up. Tavernier Dive Center seems to run a little smaller sometimes. You said "we" so assuming there's at least 2 of you you might check out the Best Western at Key Largo. We've stayed there in the suites that have a kitchenette so you can eat in or out. Have Fun!!

Check out Taverneir Dive Center, they may have a large boat but not what I'd consider a cattle operation. They are great to dive with. I just finished my open waters with them and dove the Grove with a guide. Well worth the trip! Jeff

Sea Dwellers is a good dive shop but they do have a large boat so will all depend on how many people decide to go diving that day :). If you want to be assured a smaller group try Blue Water Divers. The are a smaller operation but also very good. Wreckmania II was hosted by Sea Dwellers and I dove with at the beginning of the month, staying at the Holiday Inn. Number of others on this board were there as well for a great trip.

For the price it is hard to beat. Holiday Inn is fine as is Sea Dwellers. But for the price you can't blame them for wanting to fill the boat. Possibly if gets too busy book Blue Water for a day.

Kev

might want to check with Blue Water Divers (1-888-953-9600); great OP. Used them yesterday on short notice and they really went out of their way to make sure we had good dives. They were even willing to go out with just two of us!
Not sure if they can arrange Hotels or not but we won't use anyone else but them from now on when we are in Key Largo.

Don & Pat

I've taken two trips with Sea Dwellers with there dive/hotel package.

The crew is knowledgeable but they are relaxed. The boat can be a cattle boat sometimes. They give you up to one hour at the shallow dive sites. I haven't been on a deeper dive with Sea Dwellers.

A nice things about staying at the Holiday Inn, the hotel is right next to the boat. No long walks carrying your gear or having to load and unload your car.

as posted by everyone else, seadwellers do have a bigger boat, but that can be good sometimes if the chop is rough.

I have been with seadwellers several times and they are usually excellent with safety and great organizers witha boat of 20. the usual number of divers was 12 but I have been diving with 22.

If you are an experienced diver, and they have enough people, and conditions are right- they will go to deeper dives- I really appreciated the larger boat at the spiegel.

I love diving Key Largo- good and relaxed- just look out for those afternoon storms in August.

jax

Just back from the Keys yesterday. Dove with Quiessence in Key Largo, can't recommend them enough. Everyone I encountered there was very friendly and helpful. Only take 6 divers per boat.
Diving was great, went to shallow sites and had plenty of bottom time, saw a Turtle, Shark, Goliath Grouper, Spotted Eel, plus all the other usual tropical fish. Give Quiessence a call :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom