key largo dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the great info. Sound like Sea Dwellers may not be for me just yet. I am still a relative newbie and feel more comfortable with smaller groups. Will certainly look into the others mentioned. Does anyone know if Blue Water Divers puts a DM in the water with you or do you have to hire a private quide. Diving so far has been In Cozumel and Belize and always had DM guide in the water. I have heard this is not the norm in Florida. Is this correct. Vickie

you should check with the dive operator about a dm in the water. in my experience in the keys, there usually is not one in the water just on the boat. On the plus side, this gives you a chance to refresh those compass and navigating skills you probably haven't used since your certification. It's really not too hard - most boats anchor in the front so just remember to go out away from the boat towards the front (against the current) and then do 180 degree turn to head back. Also, most of the diving is shallow enough that you can come up and do a visual check from time to time if you're uncertain and want to make sure you know where your boat is. If you're really concerned either inquire about having a dm for a dive or two (you may have to pay extra) or try to join up with some more experienced divers -- most divers are nice folks and as long as you're not one of those divers that flail around with no consideration for others then they'll probably be glad to help you out.

scubanurse once bubbled...
I am still a relative newbie and feel more comfortable with smaller groups. ...Does anyone know if Blue Water Divers puts a DM in the water with you or do you have to hire a private quide. Diving so far has been In Cozumel and Belize and always had DM guide in the water. I have heard this is not the norm in Florida. Is this correct. Vickie
Unlike most other Keys operations, Paradise Charters puts a DM in the water at no extra charge. http://www.paradisecharters.net/

I dove with them during the Jan 2001cold spell, with mixed results. It was just me, another customer and the DM. The other customer went up early, and shortly thereafter the DM called the dive due to being cold. 69F water. I still had half a tank left. 2nd dive was also cut short. Then they called the next day and cancelled due to "air temp is too cold".

In spite of my lackluster experience, they do look like a nice, safe operation.

Only did 2 dives with them but had a DM in the water both dives. Only 3 divers, so I don't know if that is usual or not. You did not have to stay with the DM, were free to do your own dive. We were down over an hour and they didn't complain!

Check out Blue Water Divers at www.bluewaterdiver.net great OP! They they really go out of their way to make sure the divers have a good time. They can arrange hotel packages too. As a local I won't dive with anyone else in Key Largo.

Reeflover

Went with them when I was very new, which was okay. Big, full boats of new divers and snorkelers on shallow reefs. If that's what you want, OK-fine.

I like Ocean Divers, or Taveneir Dive Center, but I like deep wrecks. Got Advanced card, computer, Nirtrox card? Enjoy wrecks?

I really dig a little motel called The Hungry Pelican on the back bay at Key Largo. Really cute, in a funny way. Playing with manatees at the motel after diving sound like fun? Really feels like The Keys! The Holiday Inn feels like most Holiday Inns - sterile.

Have fun...

:wink:

I am also local to key largo, and I prefer dive-in. They have the quickest boat, the best staff, and they always go out of there way to make me happy. They are definatly the most accomodating outfit here. the only downside is that they are a six pack and the boat fills quick. Ive also noticed that diving with them, they usually get the more experienced divers on their boats, usually dm's and instructors. I know most of the other advanced locals, use them as well. Untill recently I think they were "our little secret".

Enjoy!

My wife and I will be leaving a two days for our fifth trip to dive with Sea Dwellers. We have enjoyed our experiences with them enough to recommend them to friends and family. They have done well for everyone we have sent their way from brand new divers (my brother) to experienced divers. We have done shallow and deep dives with them.

The hotel is nice. You may want to ask for a room in the building that connects to the dock for the boat. This limits your walk to around 50 feet to get to their dive boat. We are usually there in August and have found the weather is generally better in the morning. Morning dives leave at 9:00 a.m and usually return around noon which makes for a laid back schedule.

Be prepared to set up your own gear. My wife and I prefer this anyway. The captains and crew are pretty laid back and consistently find the best dive locations given weather conditions.

Good Luck!

itsrob once bubbled...
I am also local to key largo, and I prefer dive-in.

Of course you prefer them, they pay your wages. Nice advertisment though. I don't reallly think all of the claims you make are quite true but that's just my .02.

They do run a large boat with lots of divers on board. That said, they run a good op, the DM's and crew are friendly. I don't like to be in such a large crowd of divers. I always try to book with www.bluewaterdiver.net while in Key Largo. Great bunch of folks. You'll like these guys. :tree: Bob

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom