Key largo divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble_blower87

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So are there any options for divers living in the area? I'm moving to key largo next week and don't want to pay eighty dollars every time I want to dive. Someone here surely has a boat and needs a buddy?

When I lived in Jupiter, I'd occasionally go out with some friends on their private boat. They had center console boats with twin outboards (one had twin 250's the other twin 150's)..... short story is that with three of us on the boat, we always blew through a ton of fuel and it ended up being more expensive than using a charter. 'course we were drift diving and had to keep the engines running at all times and Jupiter charters are a little less expensive than Keys charters. It might be a bit cheaper in the Keys to operate a private boat since you tie off to mooring balls: however, by the time you pay for gas fills and split the cost of the fuel (and if you're nice, give the boat owner a couple extra bucks to amortize dock fees and insurance) its probably not going to be as cheap as you think..Cleaning a boat afterwards is also a PITA

Last edited:
If you have your own gear (ie tanks) it's pretty easy to get down to $70 or less per dive. For example, if you book online with Conch Republic Divers, the cost goes down to $65 per trip without tanks. Another option is buying a multi trip card.

Of course, it's always possible to befriend people with their own boat but like sportxlh said, it doesn't always work out cheaper.

Once you move and get your new driver's license with a local address, just show them that at the dive shop and ask for the "native rate". You'll usually get about 50% off the tourist rates. Honest. (VBG)

I'd look for something online like "meetups" or a buddy forum if you can't find a local dive club, and ask about that at the shops. If nothing else, try leaving your number at a couple of shops and tell them "Hey, I'm local, I can dive on short notice if you can cut me a deal" because if they have to dive with an empty seat--someone may be sharp enough to know that selling it at a discount is more profitable. And some operators have been known to have club rates, or multiple-dive rates. Might be some there.

Ask around, look for divers, maybe wander the docks and chat up anyone who's lugging tanks. But chipping in at the fuel docks is still gonna cost.

I'm excited to get there next week. I made fifty dives last year mostly in a quarry. Just kind of sucks knowing I'll be in dive paradise and I'll probably make less dives this year. That said they should be great dives.

Welcome! I've lived here about 6/7 years now. It's all good.

Rainbow Reef. I'm great friends with many there and Elena works there (when she's in town).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom