Key Largo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJTY

Contributor
Reaction score
We are going to Key Largo Labor day weekend. Since we are staying at Amy Slate's, I planned saturdays dive with them. We have not yet planned a dive for Sunday. I would like to dive wrecks, but most everybody going with me are just a few dives since OW certification. What are the best spots or operators?

Not that you suggested doing this, but most of the Keys dive ops are pretty strict at taking divers to the deep wrecks only if they have (a) an AOW cert or (b) two >80ft dives in the last six months. (The latter item varies slightly with dive op.)

So you'll probably be going to Molasses Reef. It's a big reef with lots of variety. There are other reefs like French that you can dive after Molasses. And if you want a wreck, the Benwood is the only shallow wreck worth doing. It's not a great wreck, but it's good enough.

There are a bunch of other threads that talk about which dive ops are better, but the bottom line is that there are a TON of them and they all seem good. It's rare for a Keys dive op to be bad-mouthed on this forum. Just do a search and you'll get all you need.

While the Benwood is a great shallow wreck......I also like the City of Washington and Mike's Wreck.

You may want to find an operator/dive shop that leaves from the ocean side (instead of bayside like Amy's does) for some variety and a chance to see the most northern reefs and wrecks!

Pat

Lots of Great ops in Key Largo. My fave is http://www.scuba-do.com/. They go to all the spots; I've never had a bad dive with them.

Especially as a newbie, I loved the site briefings and divemastering. I just felt safer. Most people think I'm making it up, but they bring your gear to the back, gear you up, and you do your giant stride. Boarding is the reverse.

Give them a call. they know the spots way better than I do.

Island Ventures is pretty good... so is (was) Silent World... I also like Divers City alot... they do 3 tank trips a lot of times...

Brent and Captain Glenn of Blue Water did a great job in July of taking advantage of vis and water conditions to maximize our dives. Saw several sites I had not even heard of on a previous trip in February. The are also based on ocean side which saves a little travel time. Great operator, and a very active participant on this board.
Tom

I dove Silent World when I was down there last year. I think I dove with Captain Bob. Good Op. I would say you can't go wrong with them. I think Christ In The Abyss is doable for newbies. But just look don't touch...fire coral.

We have gone out with Silent World for the last 4 years. They are very accomadating and they have a good crew (assuming they are all still there) Most of our dives were with AJ and Capt Bob. I do not know the new owners and we will not be going there this year to meet them. When we go back to the Keys we will check them out again. The city of Washington is a great shallow dive along with the Benwood. I am not big on reefs but I did enjoy the fingers reef. I think that is what it was called anyway.

WE just got back from Key Largo. We did some dives in Molasses like Pickles, but my favorite was the benwood and French Reef. We did two days of diving with Ocean Divers. They have two large boats and great crews. Any other questions feel free to PM me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom