Key Largo - HMS Minnow is the way to go!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

happydiver

Registered
Reaction score
This is just an FYI to anyone who might be interested in diving Key Largo and might be looking for a tip with who to dive with. We dove three days with Captain Jeff on his HMS Minnow. I have never met a captain/owner who cared more about pleasing his customers.

We went out toward Molassas Reef last Saturday and the seas were 4-6'. When we got to the intended dive site, Jeff said that the seas were worse than they were saying and that we didn't have to do the dive and either way, we didn't have to pay for anything that day. The next two days we went out, we went to the Duane and Molassas Reef. He gave a thorough dive briefing for the Duane and set up extra lines for us to set up our descent due to the exceptionally strong current that day. The Duane is such an awesome dive, we can't wait to do it again! Regarding the reef dives, Jeff's only restriction was to be back on the boat (a six pack by the way) with 500 psi. NO TIME RESTRICTIONS! We were our reef dives for well over an hour! We saw nurse sharks, a reef shark (don't know if it was a Caribbean or a Grey), a Hawksbill turtle, eels, tons of fish, and so many other wonderful things!

Jeff happily answered any questions we had, was very knowledgeable and was so nice! He made three lifelong customers with us and we are most definitley going to tell our friends to dive with Captain Jeff and the HMS Minnow!

Happy diving to you all...

Is that the boat that departs from the dock in Pennekamp State Park?

Does the skipper still offer that three hour tour? He has been trying to sell that since the 60s... heck you'd have to be a millionaire, his wife or a movie star to afford it. I am not sure that anyone could make it on a professor's salary or even as a homemaker. There just has to be away! But hey, that first mate's got it going on! What a maroon...

No, the HMS Minnow departs from the Marina by the Holiday Inn and Coconuts bar. We stayed at the Holiday Inn and just had a short little walk to the boat each morning. Jeff stored our dive gear overnight for us.

Hi Stone,

I do not know off hand if Captain Jeff would do that, but his website is www.hmsminnow.com.

Enjoy your vacation!

PS) If you've never been to the Duane and you're interested in an awesome wreck dive, look into Jeff taking you out there - you won't be disappointed!

happydiver,
Sounds like you have found a keeper in Capt. Jeff and the Minnow. Those are great dives out of Key Largo and Tavernier Creek. They are still some of my favorite dives. Out of curiosity, what was the Vis on the Duane? Was the current ripping? The last time I was on the Duane it must have been a four knott current.:tree:Bob

Hi Bob,

The visability on the Duane the day we went was really good - probably 40 to 50'. The current was definitely ripping! We looked like flags blowing in the wind during our safety stop. The current on the wreck itself wasn't too bad. We were a bit bummed because Captain Jeff said that some divers see hammerheads and bulls on the wreck and we didn't see any! Maybe next time and there will absoluely be a next time!

Take care and dive safe...

happydiver,
Thanks for the report. I have an Instructor freind who talks fondly and often about the Duane. It's on my must dive list. Maybe next year!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom