Key Largo in June, who should I dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

White Chocolate

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm finally returning to the Keys at the start of June to visit some family and will be able to get some diving in while on Key Largo. Last time I was there 4 years ago my lack of cert cards and the very understandable distrust of the staff when I said I was capable enough for the advanced dives (because I had a deep cert from SSI and dive in the dark and cold Pacific NW) kept me on Rainbow Reef's cattle boat at the Molasses Reef sites (it was still a GREAT experience). Now with a few hundred mostly cold water drysuit dives under my belt and an AOW/Master Diver card I am qualified to swim in the grown up pool! My wife isn't able to dive this trip so I will be doing the instabuddy thing and hopefully getting a couple wreck dives in and an easier trip or two looking at all the pretty fish. I had a cool experience last year in Hawaii with Jack's Diving Locker getting to follow the dive master and some regulars around (on a normal charter) with bottom times well above 60 min and a pretty loose underwater group (which meant lots of time looking for small stuff and taking photos instead of playing follow the leader). I know that's not the norm most places and will be ok diving with the clock ticking. I was planning on using Rainbow Reef again because they were very nice and professional and are convenient for solo travelers, but if anyone has another recommendation that would get me an experience similar to my Hawaii trip that would be fantastic!

Rainbow is a good choice for a single diver and they put guides/DM's in every dive. Every shop here has their own mojo/style and you just figure out where you fit in.

I dove with Rainbow Reef a lot. They took over Ocean Divers across the canal, so they have a lot of boats going out. For a more intimate experience, Key Largo Dive Center has a large six pack. It's impossible to feel crowded on that boat.

As a customer of RR I've always been happy with their service, but I've also tried (unsuccessfully) to branch out and try different operators...

Of the two other operators I contacted, one never replied, and the other didn't send a boat out because of 'rough seas'... but it was my opinion that they didn't have any (or enough) customers to make it worthwhile... RR sent multiple boats out all week...

Specific to RR... dives of well over, or even closely approaching an hour do NOT happen. The 1 hour clock starts ticking when the captain says, "Pool is open", then they literally hold each divers hand as they walk you to the back of the boat for a giant stride. Once all the DM's clients are in the water, they allow you to go down (sometimes you can go down early). The dive then lasts 40-45 minutes before surfacing and getting back on board. The entire time, from 'pool is open' to back seated on the boat is 60 minutes... IMHO that is not an hour dive...

RR will allow you to dive with a buddy, without a guide, but they kind of discourage it, and the 1 hour rule is strictly enforced.

If you're only looking to do a small number of dives, and can splurge, maybe hire a private DM if you go with them...

I was down in Key Largo for a business meeting in March and my boss and I dove with Quiescence Diving Services. They have three six-pack boats, so they are never crowded. We hired a private guide. She and the boat captain were both great.

Horizon Divers does a lot of double dip wreck trips. Great operation, will let you dive however you want. When I dove with them I was doing 100-110 minute run times on the SG, Duane, and Bibb.

In actuality, I don't think there's a single operation I wouldn't dive with in the keys. All of them are friends of mine.

If the RR staff recognize that you're an experienced diver that doesn't need a guide, they'll let you splash first. I always gear up on the way out and am ready to jump in once they tie off to the mooring line. I'm solo certified and I have a redundant bottle. Including the ascent and safety stop, I've had some pretty long dives on the deep wrecks.... 55 + minutes. Obviously, on nitrox

You can hire a personal guide at other shops like Conch Republic, Quiescence or Horizon Divers and you'll get a highly personal dive experience, but it will be more expensive than RR. RR is the cheapest way to go if you really want a guide.

In actuality, I don't think there's a single operation I wouldn't dive with in the keys. All of them are friends of mine.

^^^This^^^ Competition is tough and word of mouth spreads quickly in South Florida. Any dive op that has been around is doing something right. Obviously each has a niche and market they target, but I think all do a solid job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom