Key Largo Lodgings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikl

Reaction score
My wife and I just came back from Key Largo,first time. We made reservations at Seafarers,what a HUGH MISTAKE. We stayed one night it was atrocious. They would not refund our money for the next two nights. We ended up staying at Howard Johnsons. This was excellent I would highly recommend.

10 X 12 room,terrile pillows,no radio or clock, no desk or table, electricle safety. Not worth $100.00/night. Howard Johnsons complete full size room $95.00/night other motels average room $159.00/night

I stayed there in May of last year and will sleep in the car before staying there again. Now I am not particular BUT the carpet was run down, the rooms were soso, both the rooms I saw needed a good renovation and not a very good value. To put the room in perspective, we had rented a small cottage the weekend before in Key Largo - 2 double beds, bath, full kitchen, pool, grill for the same price. They were booked full the next weekend which is the reason we ended up at the HJ's. The biggest thing that upset us was being cheated in the in house restaurant. We had to wait a long time to get seated, we were the ONLY people waiting so it was not like they were busy. After we finally got seated we again waited for service. After we finally got waited on, we got the buffet, if you can call it that. It was poorly stocked and we had to wait for staples like eggs to be placed out. We got 1 fill of coffee, finding the waiter was impossible. After all this, we were charged a 15 to 20% (I honestly can't remember which) gratuity.....FOR WHAT!!!! It was a buffet, there was no one to tip and we had not even gotten coffee refills. Even if it had been a regular meal, I would not have tipped the waiter/tress for such poor service. Had we not been late for our dive boat, due to THEM wasting our time..we had plenty of time if we had been waited on promptly, I would have made a scene but not having the time, we just paid and got the heck out of the place. HO JO's in Key Largo, no thank you I can do a lot better.

Next time try a little 'mom and pop' hotel called 'Popp's. Its right in Key Largo. My wife and I were just there 4 wks ago and stayed there. Nice private beach, docks, hammocks, quiet place, clean and nicely decorated. Prices for the efficiency we stayed in was $100 per night. Nice people. And while your there, cehck out Horizon Divers - super great dive charter service and top quality boats and friendly, professional service. Refreshments on the pontoon boat, clean water shower, head, clean, nice rig. People treated us better than family!

It was great! Got to dive the Pickle Barrel Wreck and some reefs. Beautiful place!

:)

I too fell victim to the Seafarer. I wouldn't let a sewer rat stay there! We tried to save money on rooms and got lucky most of the time. My recommendations for the future would be Tropica Vista on Travernier (small but comfortable with great dive boat), Abyss Dive with the Holiday Inn on Marathon (will take the boat out even on scary days but generally good), Parmers Resort on Little Torch Key (didn't get to dive with them but rooms and service was good), and Kelly's on Key Largo (good rooms, good dive operation and nice extras like free kayaks and clean hot tub).

Most of these are budget rooms on off season trips. If its winter, remember nobody in the Keys has heat in the rooms so bring a blanket.

Almost forgot, the Hojo's breakfast buffet sucks! Cold food with little choice, poor service, and everything was less than clean.

Dave

Our place at Popp's motel had portable space heaters which worked out pretty good. We had to use them nights.

The Florida Keys is in a unique economic area. It is a low rent, high price district. Don't ever expect accommodations to match price if you are used to staying in other parts of the country. You will be sorely dissappointed.

I agree that the buffett and the service at HoJo could have been better, but I have no complaints with the room and outside surroundings

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom